What could I say instead of gentlemen in a business setting?

Gentlemen seems so formal, but "guys" is far too informal and "sirs" is just over the top.

• Lôn

'Gentlemen'is not too formal...use that.

"Good morning, everyone."

Gentlemen is the most used one and therefore the safest option.

However, there are also other options depending on how "strict" the business is with formalities.

ladies and gents

honourable members

members

colleagues

esteemed collagues

council

• Lili

Are they really all men? If they are, "gentlemen" is fine. If they aren't, "Ladies and gentlemen" will do.

There's nothing wrong with some formality, especially in business or any other professional setting. More people should observe it. It represents good manners, something else more people should display.

You want people to take a meeting or presentation seriously. Formality helps.

If you really want to get casual, use "Folks". I don't like it, but it would do.

• Ann

I tend to call my class "ladies and gentlemen." I use "gentlemen" as well as "guys."

• Lili

I'm a professor. I address my undergraduate and graduate students as "ladies and gentlemen". I hope it helps them think of themselves as adults with serious obligations and responsibilities -- such as getting their work done well and on time.