To married people who are childless by choice: are you glad you are childess?

Favorite Answer

Yes. My husband and I are in our 50s. I've retired already and he plans to do so within a few years, once he wraps up a project he's been working on for some time. We have $3 million (roughly) in the bank, our house is paid off, we have no debts, and we travel. He has co-workers with children, and their lives are hell, at least from what he sees of them. One is our age with grown children, and he recently remarried and had two more. He has an infant and a toddler, and every day he tells more horror stories about parenting. I don't understand why anyone would do that voluntarily.

• hanako5 months agoReport

I relate to you. We are planning to have nearly 3 million dollars by the time we retire, we have a house and no debt, and travelling in Europe is one of our favorite hobbies. I prefer the luxury of sufficient money and free time and the freedom of doing what we want when we want.

No , i love kids, they keep you young . Or does for years to have one it's hurts me not to have one

• dman63

Yes. Neither of us really wanted children, and we discussed it at length before we married to make sure we were on the same page.

• i + i

Very VERY glad we are childless.

However, we ended up practically

raising the daughter of the brother

of my wife (i.e., our niece), so we

can't exactly say we were 100%

"child free". She has gone through

hell (abuse, addiction, etc.) but at

30 appears to finally have her life

on track.

• dman63

It’s great that you were able to help your niece through some rough times in her life.

• Ana

It really depends on the individual person. Some people value money, freedom, travel, excitement. Some other people have obsessions with breeding and popping out babies… Other people simply want to be raising a family, and be part of the community…

yep The minimum length of an answer is 15 characters

We are 59 and 60 years old, and have not even a glimmer of regret about our decision not to have children.

I'm going to answer this honestly, as a woman. Yes, we are EXTREMELY happy with our choice, and we have never questioned it. We made the decision after having looked into all of the factors involved, and decided to remain childfree was the lifestyle for us. We still love the children in our families and our friends children, but we are perfectly content with just us. Every once in a while my biological urge will have me wondering what a child of ours would be like, but do not mistake that curiosity for regret. It's fun to wonder, but that doesn't mean that we aren't confident in our decision. He has recently gotten a vasectomy since I've been doctor hunting for the better part of two decades to find anyone willing to give me a ligation to no avail, and long term hormonal birth control use is not without its downsides. Deciding to be childfree is not a decision to make lightly, either. It takes real knowledge of yourselves and good communication to reach that decision in a relationship. I was lucky enough to find someone who not only respects my decision, but who also wanted to remain childfree. Whether you're doing it because of the abismal state of the word or because you just don't feel like you could handle the stress well enough to raise children into becoming decent adults, it doesn't matter; if it's right for you, it's right for you. Never let anyone try to make your mind up either way about this, because it is a life long decision.

If you ever have any questions or want to just talk it out, feel free to discuss it with a trusted friend, or even to contact me. It's a hard decision, and sometimes having a non-judgemental party to just rant it out to makes all the difference in the world.

analkittiesuicide@yahoo.com

• Helen

Yes, extremely.

hahahaha id hate to have kids, they are such a pain in the **** and the wallet.. so many problems with society these days which kinda makes more trouble they are worth.