Is 15.6" display too small for work?

I m a graphic design student and I am getting a new lap top to work on. I saw very good and powerful lap tops but most of them are with 15.6 inches display or less. I have spoke with a graphic designer and he told me it s too small and with long working sessions my eyes would get tired. Do you guys share the same opinion, should I look for 17" displays or it won t make any difference?

Get a 50 inch or larger 4K HDTV and connect to any laptop with an HDMI cable.

On the one hand, that's too small. On the other hand, if you'll be carrying around then you don't want it to be too large and heavy. A compromise might be to buy a large external monitor and use that most of the time.

I've been a graphic artist since 1985, and a special effects artist since 1993. I currently work as a special effects artist for film/TV. What I've found is that a larger display and using the largest WACOM tablet available has saved my eyes and my hands over the decades. Working with anything smaller is much more taxing to an already taxing career.

Do yourself a favor and simply buy a large display and invest in a large WACOM tablet and forego having to discover how much easier it is to work with them. You can certainly work with smaller tools, but just like I discovered, you will find out how damaging it is to do that.

• Mark

If you're not going to take it anywhere, 17" is fine. I have a 15.6", and I DO take it places and use it while travelling on planes or coaches and even THAT is a little large.