Ashley asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

Why doesn’t my dog like/love me anymore?

I have a 9 year old male, Jack Russell/Beagle mix that I had rescued from a shelter...about 8 years ago. My parents are divorced and at the time I was living with my dad. Long story short, me and Jackson did everything together. When ever I was in my room Jackson was always there on my bed chewing on his bone, every night he slept under the covers in my bed. So when I turned 18, I then moved in with mom. My mom has 2 dogs, that Jackson has none since they were puppies. When I started college I was pretty much gone all day, everyday because school etc..& my mom would watch after Jackson for me. We’ve been living with my mom for 5 years now and it feels like all he wants to do is be with my mom and the other 2 dogs. He doesn’t sleep in my room on my bed with me, he sleeps where the other two dogs sleep which is in my moms room. He just is always in my moms room with the other 2 dogs.

He has switched packs.

Maybe because you molested the dog

• PR

Maybe, Jackson is living the way he wants to live right now. Perhaps he is appreciating the other two dogs who you have said he has known a long time. Dogs are pack animals, and these dogs have likely become his pack and he feels part of their family.

Take Jackson for walks, and maybe include one of the other dogs with you on the walk. Take Jackson outside to play fetch and if you need to bring the others, then do so.

At age of nine, Jackson must feel he missed this chance to be with the other dogs, and likes it. You are lucky he isn't moping around, but is happy.

If you feed Jackson, this may help, but I would not expect him to give up his friends. Just include them, like you would with a child

First, you did everything with Jackson, and spent a lot more time with him (you were the center of his world) then.... you basically abandoned him to your mother's care and to the companionship of two other dogs. Being a pack-hound (as a part beagle) he has "adapted" to this new way of life and it works out BEST for him. You cannot expect him to DROP or REVERT to his former life pattern..... simply because it is NOW "convenient" for you to spend more time with him. That is SELFISH. You both made life style-choices, and you will have to live with the consequences, of the choice YOU MADE.

Look at it this way. Your (part) hound has latched onto 'she who provides' which is typical for dogs. He's also a pack hound (breed) and so he now has a pack with your mum's 2 dogs. It's way better for him to be as he is now. Would you prefer that he'd have been totally lost when you moved on and went to college? If he prefers to sleep with his other two companions, and look to your mum when it's food time, or for his exercise if you are not there THEN ALL GOOD! This isn't a competition - it's your hound having made the adjustment once you moved in with your mum. Good on him.

It's not that he doesn't like you any more. He's just figured out what suits him best!