Leo asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

I m making cookies for a party and the recipe calls for mint extract. Can I use some of the tons of dried mint I have, and if so, how much?

Go right ahead.

Just don't expect anyone to actually know how strong your dried mint actually is. Dried herbs lose their potency over time. A good cook has to taste them and make a guess.

I would either use a different flavoring or go buy the mint candies and chop them in for the cookies. (Like the Andes Mint Candy)

If you do not use a lot of mint extract a small bottle will last you a lifetime!

You could also use mint liquor in place of any liquid in the recipe. (That you can use easily in the winter when making Hot Chocolate in the evening.)

• Depending on the recipe (perhaps you can link us to it) maybe you can just switch up the entire flavor profile by using a different extract?

I will say that I make mint ice cream using only fresh mint (no extract) and it is extremely flavorful, but I don't think you can necessarily translate that to a) dried mint and b) a cookie recipe. But who knows - you macerate tons of fresh mint in warmed milk/cream for about 2 hours for the ice cream.

You can make mint extract easy enough but it takes a bit of time, a jar and vodka.

cram as many mint leaves into the jar as you can, cover with vodka and close. Set aside for a month or so. and you have mint extract.

Its the same way you make vanilla extract out of vanilla beans.

since you need the cookies now, either make different cookies or go buy some mint extract

i think what you would do is to measure out the oil that will be in the cookies and simmer the dried mint in the oil and then strain the mint out. not sure how long you'd want to simmer it for, but likely a long while.

bare in mind i haven't tried this, that's just how i would do it if i was going to try it.

• Janet

It will not work.

You will not get the mint taste.

NEVER try out a recipe or alter it when you are going to be serving it to others for the first time.

What will you do if the cookies turn out nasty? Do you have an alternative?

First time you do a recipe, you need to follow the recipe exactly .. since not all recipes turn out well even IF you follow directions exactly. (which is why you always try it out well before you need it)

• Lolly

That sounds really gross.