Yes asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 6 months ago

Is a condom enough?

I am young and I'm I'd rather not go on the pill if I don't have to but is it likely I'm gonna get pregnant if I just use a condom

After my daughter was born it was safe for me for over 20 years but reading the question on hear there is lots that say the condom fell off or burst so I would take the pill to be sure.

• J

You are putting yourself in the hands of another and risk the chance that he takes if off just before he enters you.

It would be wise to use both, and you don't need to tell him that you are on the pill.

See a Dr. on a regular basis and take care of yourself.

lube the outside of the condom to make sure it doesn't break

Source(s): foreplay is for her not me
  • MissA

If you use them correctly (meaning they are stored properly, fit the gentleman in question right, and are put on correctly and *before* that penis gets near your vagina) then they are quite reliable. Like most forms of birth control, how well it works depends on how well you use it. They are not as effective as hormonal methods given either typical or perfect use but many couples use them happily forever.

• LizB

If you use them correctly and consistently, condoms a very effective form of birth control. Make sure you or your bf pick a kind with spermicide. I never used any form of hormonal BC until I was nearly 33 and had just had my first child (got an IUD then), and never once had a pregnancy scare. My mother had a blood clot caused by her BC, so I opted for condoms only with my partners.

• Pippin

When used carefully and correctly, condoms are very reliable. (And if can use emergency contraception should one break or come off, the risk is even lower.)

The relatively high 'actual' failure rate (around 15% vs. about 2% for 'ideal' use) is mostly due to couples who don't use them consistantly or correctly. (Have sex for a while and then stop to put the condom on, or 'forget' them sometimes.)

You could also use a vaginal spermicide to add to effectiveness. Or ... if you are that young -- maybe wait to have sex until you are older. Your other questions indicate that you are 14. That is MUCH too young to be even thinking about sex. If your older boyfriend is pressuring you -- he's NOT your boyfriend and doesn't care about you.

• Jose

No form if birth control can guarantee 100% effectiveness.

When used correctly, condoms are very, very effective. The wife and I have used condoms as our only method of birth control for over 20 years and have never experienced an unplanned pregnancy. When we wanted to have children, we simply stopped using condoms and successfully conceived without issue or much delay. After our last child, we are still using condoms. Cheap and effective and cause no hormonal issues.