Can someone translate this Latin story into English please WITHOUT using Google Translate? Thanks!!!?

Ulixes, a patria multis annis actus, uxorem et filium videre cupivit. Ulixes et viri multas res vicerant, sed spem numquam amiserunt. Trans maria lata navigaverunt et multas terras novas viderunt. Ulixes reges reginasque visitavit, etiam ad domum Plutonis ductus est. Multi homines interfecti sunt, sed Ulixes mortem iter consistere non permisit. Per omnia, Ulixes semper dixit, “Iterum in mea patria *** familia habitaturus sum!” His verbis Ulixes hominibus magnam virtutem donavit. Sacrificia multis deis ab Ulixe et hominibus donata sunt sed, sacrificiis donatis, Ulixes solus ad patriam revenire potuit. Ulixes, cuius familia fuit vere grata, *** uxore et filio multos annos rexit.

patria multis

homeland of/to many

Uxor means wife

Filius means son

...he desired to see wife and son.

Too complicated!

• bluebellbkk

NO!!! 'A patria' is one phrase, and 'multis annis' is totally separte.

'All those commas' show you (or they show ME, anyway) that there is an ablative absolute to be considered: 'sacrificiis donatis'.

When commas bother you, leave out the parts inside the commas and focus on the basic skeleton of the sentence. I've broken it into two simple sentences for you:

Sacrificia multis deis ab Ulixe et hominibus donata sunt.

Sed Ulixes solus ad patriam revenire potuit.

See how you get on with those. Then see how to fit the Ablative absolute in; I'm assuming you know how they work.

With the final sentence, if you remove the part inside the commas, you're left with: "Ulixes *** uxore et filio multos annos rexit".

Surely you can manage that. Then work on the part inside the commas and insert it.

What an appropriate screen name you have chosen! Someone can, but this one won't.

Thanks, but since posting that I've actually gotten pretty far in (I post my hw on these sites for reference after I've finished). Right now, I'm struggling on the last two. Mainly:

"Sacrificia multis deis ab Ulixe et hominibus donata sunt sed, sacrificiis donatis, Ulixes solus ad patriam revenire potuit. Ulixes, cuius familia fuit vere grata, *** uxore et filio multos annos rexit."

The *** is c-u-m, the latin preposition for 'with'. Yahoo Answers is censoring it for obvious reasons. I know all of the words, I'm pretty good with vocabulary, but my issue is where they go in the sentence, and what's throwing me off is all of the commas.

• bluebellbkk

Just by the way, it can get confusing if the Asker posts among our answers. Next time just click on EDIT and post an Update. It will be clear and obvious to us then that the Asker has posted some extra information or background.

Chris, that's as poor a translation as I've ever seen. And in seeking a good translation, I see this one word for word at other websites, so you didn't even do it yourself.

My Latin is rusty with disuse, but I can make out a good bit of it even so. What I can't do--or rather, won't do--is someone else's homework or take-home test.

Tell you what. Parse the first two and the last two sentences: subject, verb, object, any prepositional or adjectival phrases, in English. I'll help you if you get any of it wrong.