Kat Heart asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Took in a cat that has never been dewormed?

I’m not sure about doing it myself. She’s had all of her shoots but her previous owners were older and never dewormed her. I think she’s around 14 or 15. Should I jut not do it at this point or do it myself? I’ve got a vet app. for in two weeks. I had wanted to do it before then but didn’t know if that is a bad idea. Never been in this situation before.

I use Revolution on my other cats.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

This is not a difficult procedure. She'll either get the pills or the paste and crap out any worms she has. Your vet may want to put her on a schedule if she has a lot or just one dose and she's done if she has none.

It's really never a bad idea to get your cats dewormed and honestly, no matter how old they are, it really is a painless procedure and shouldn't harm her in any way. My friend's cat was outdoor and still getting pills and paste at 16, every 6 months, and had no issues with it.

• Laura

Because she can get in to see the vet for another 2 weeks, she needs to stay separated from your other cats for this long. She cannot see the other cats without getting a full clean bill of health. See if you can get in sooner.

When you go to the vet, take a fresh stool sample and have them test it to see if she has worms. If she does get the recommended treatment from the vet. They should be able to give the cat the treatment right then so you don't have to worry about doing it.

I'd see whether the cat NEEDS worming before giving her unnecessary chemicals. And that means taking a stool sample to your vet for him to run a fecal first.

A trolling we will go, a trolling we will go

Heigh ho, the dairy-o, a trolling we will go

Second verse same as the first