Do you think life exists elsewhere in the universe besides planet Earth? Why or why not?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

a guess which is all anyone on the globe can do,is

,yes,,proof is at the end of a search with vehicles & optical instruments we do not yet have

• 5 months ago

I believe it does

Earth was not just an accident, it was meant to be

Consider the rest of our Solar System

More than one moon has a Subterranian Ocean

With internal Tidal Heating

Even Pluto has it

Historically, Mars and Venus were Temperate, so the same just could have happened before things went pairshaped

Life on Earth began around 3.8 Billion years ago, the same time as when the Last Great Bombardment ended

Comets brought water to Earth, and what was in it produced our Evolution

We could all be Aliens from way back !!

Mars and Venus became Sterile around 2 Billion years ago so there was plenty of time

The Drake Equation shows what the Calculated chances could be

If we actually found even Microbial life on Mars, that would actually double the chances

Any other Solar System with the same Natural Circumstances could end up the same

Attachment image
  • 5 months ago

Yes. The Labeled Release experiment carried out by Viking in 1976 seemed to indicate the presence of microbes and the presence of carbonyl sulphide in the upper atmosphere of Venus also suggests biochemical activity.

• D g
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It has to exist som ed where with inteligence because none can be found on earth

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

yes. but like us or highly advanced i doubt it,just think of all the sepcies on our planet(if you can call it ours), not just the ones now, but all the ones that have become extinct, dinos, ants birds , mammals fish etc etc etc, and out of all those billions only one stood out

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, and statistics.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I do think life does exist elsewhere in the universe. It seems to me to be highly improbable that it only evolved on this planet.

Of course, in thinking this I also think there must be other rocky planets out there with an atmosphere and where conditions are conducive to some form of life.

Life similar to Earth's prokaryotes is very likely. I do suspect that the probability does drop if we follow the course of how evolution happened on Earth. So the probability of eukaryotic unicells is lower. Then lower than that eukaryotic multicellular life. I think the lowest probability is of there being intelligent life with technology. This is not because I think we humans are unique. I think it is because as you move towards more highly evolved forms of life you are looking for better conditions for life on a planet.

To the best of our knowledge chemistry is the same everywhere in the universe. Therefore, I expect life on other planets will be carbon-based and it will need H2O in its liquid form, i.e. water.

• 5 months ago

There are literally millions of solar systems just in our galaxy, so with open mind, I do have faith there is some form of life elsewhere in the universe.

Now consider there are millions of galaxies and clusters with their solar systems.

Look at Tardigrades, they can survive boiling water, frozen to minus 300degrees, vacuum of space. Radiation, 40 times pressure in the deepest seas.

Fossils have been found in meteorite fragments.

So why not

• 5 months ago

I do... and I use the argument of numbers (there's upwards of a *trillion* planets in our galaxy alone), along with how tenacious life seems to be... On Earth, there's life in the ices of the Arctic, and in the boiling waters of Yellowstone. It's everywhere - and I would assume it would be the same on other planets - if life *can* exist on one, it will...

And - I'm ready to be proven wrong as well... right now, we have no evidence either way; just conjecture and belief... I might be wrong - and we'll just have to wait and see.

• JonZ
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I think so. The universe is vast and there are billions of galaxies with billions of planets and moons where the "building blocks for life" exist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.