Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

If you could continue writing 1984 (nineteen eight four) by George Orwell, how would you do it?

Update:

Error: (nineteen eighty four)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • chorle
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I wouldn't but I like the influence shown in Doctorow's Little Brother which although not it Public Domain can be read form Project Gutenberg

• Login to reply the answers
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I suppose I COULD continue the story of Winston Smith if I were inclined to do so. But I think the ending of the book is actually quite fitting. Adding to it would detract from its impact. I could talk about what happens to Winston in the weeks and months and years that follow, but the arc of the narrative had been completed at the point Orwell chose for the ending. If I were to pick up from there, it would feel forced and superfluous. One of the defining characteristics of the universe of "1984" is that we readers are continually left with more questions than answers. Do Oceania, Eurasia and East Asia actually exist? Or is there one single superstate that perpetuates the myth of other rival nations? Are wars actually raging around the world or does the government bomb its own citizens to keep them loyal and obedient? Is there really a Big Brother? Is the resistance real? We never find out. It's left up to each of us to decide. Why ruin that?

• 6 months ago

I would make Siri, Cortana, Alexa and Hey Google Big Brother

• snafu
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The masses would rise up, there’d be a war and Winston Smith would become President / big brother. He’d write a book called Animal Farm.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I would extend it to show just how evil the current democrap political part is.

• 6 months ago

I would have Big Brother reveal his name as Donald Trump.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Nineteen Eighty Four.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.