My router's (Asus RT-AC750) download speed drops off as soon as I'm not right next to it.?

My speed next to the router is 50Mbps/50Mbps on both laptop and phone. When I am in a nearby room it's 1Mbps/50Mbps. Upload speed doesn't get affected at all. I've just reset and updated the router (persisting issue).

Problem is,probably,in router.Try different router..Average router lasts around 3 years.

How many other routers are near you... how many SSID's do you see when you go to wifi connections? Interference is terrible in some locations. Sometimes changing channels is all you need to do, other times using only 5 gig or 2.4 gig is all that is needed.

Also check for other wireless devices that you may use, I have seen wireless speaker systems shut down nearly any wifi connection.

• Klemen6 months agoReport

Two neighbours' SSID's are all I see. Both frequencies have the same issue. I find it odd the interference would only affect download and not also upload.

• Lv 7

bad antenna on your device or router.

figure out which by trying with a different device.