Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 6 months ago

Are there any woman out there who drank whilst pregnant?

I don't mean binge drinking or drinking every day, or even every other day or even drinking once in a while where you were totally drunk - I mean did you have a glass of red wine or two once in a while whilst pregnant as I know most woman just totally cut it out all together. I want to hear from woman who did enjoy a glass of wine or two when they were carrying a child.

My mother and grandmother both drank whilst pregnant (not excessively) I have friends who do and friends who do not?

• MissA
    Favorite Answer

I remember I had a glass of very expensive champagne on New Year's eve.

Which was tragic, honestly, because I've never been a fan of champagne and I thought that it might be better if it were $100/bottle stuff which I wasn't paying for, but it really, really wasn't:)

Otherwise I probably had an occasional sip here and there, I can't recall, but my intake was low enough I had no qualms about it at all. I definitely drank far less than I did before or after pregnancy... and it's not like I'm a total boozadillo now.

The difficulty with alcohol is that it lowers your inhibitions. So while a little drink here and there is almost certainly harmless in pregnancy... the issue then becomes "Oh, hey, I had a little drink and now I'm happy and relaxed so I'm going to have another one, I'm sure it's fine." And then that continues. Given how *incredibly* commonplace alcoholism is I do think that the best advice is abstinence, even though there's no evidence of harm from occasional drinking.

• Juana

I drank for at least the first 7 weeks of being pregnant. Didn't know I was, but I would go out on weekends religiously. My baby, now 3, is just fine. I've also had friends and family who have a glass of wine often. Just, like you said, don't over do it.

• LizB

I did, small amounts very occasionally. If alcohol was so toxic that an occasional glass of wine could have a negative impact on a pregnancy, no one would be able to consume it.

Yes, I did..I maybe had a glass of wine 2 times a month , average ? Some months I didn't have a drink. Research have shown having a glass a wine a week didnt cause any harmful effects, such as FAS . I dont suggest to drink during pregnancy lol , but having a glass wont harm.You really have to drink alot to cause FAS. My baby came right on his due date, no problems, he is hitting all his milestones and almost walking. He is about to be 1

I would not take that kind of chance with something that can have a lifelong negative impact on another person. I would worry about someone who felt such a need to drink alcohol that she couldn't do without it for a few months.

When having my first child, an easy pregnancy.

I did not drink when pregnant with my second as I suffered from extreme sickness up until the day of delivery.

• Jill

Yes I did. Alcohol, in moderation (like most things) is okay - even when you are pregnant. It's not a problem unless you don't understand what moderation means.