Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 5 months ago

Who should get what in a divorce?

Divorcing couples usually make these decisions with their lawyers... sometimes they have a meeting with their lawyers present and other times the lawyers handle it between themselves discussing what each person wants.

Talk with your attorney

• Foofa

This differs both by state law and by situation. There's no one size fits all answer.

I see a lot of divorces. Judges attempt to divide property and debts evenly, but that depends on WHERE.

Divorce laws are archaic and should be changed. Some States are more realistic than others.

People can determine who WILL get what in a divorce by signing a very specific prenup agreement in accordance with State laws.

I have seen one party who did not know the spouse had a large outstanding credit card bill suddenly forced to pay half of that bill. I am currently seeing people who own a house and then get married and then divorce having to pay the other spouse half of the increased value of the house, a value that is usually the result of inflation.

In theory a person "should" walk out of a marriage in the same financial place as when he/she walked into the marriage, but that seldom happens.

It should be split and agreed with during a mediation or the man should give the woman so much money and leave the rest to her only if he's rich like that! I prefer to have it where what's mine is mine when getting married so I won't get kicked to the streets