Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 7 months ago

is one or two glasses of wine every night bad or unhealthy?

I drink 3-4 glasses of red wine a day. I am 70 years old and can pass for 60. Am never sick and have great facial skin. Good genes, I guess :)

Wine is okay, make sure its the sweet kind. Nothing worse than dry wine,

• oikoσ

If that's the only drinking you do, it is just the opposite of bad or unhealthy. Wine has medicinal benefits. For that matter, so does beer, although the different benefits vary with the type of beer.

"Drink no longer water but take a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thy sometime infirmities."

Yes because it stops fat burning, it damages internal organs, ages you faster, dehydrates you, and the weaker your insides are the less they work over time they won't work as well as they used to. Your stomach won't process food as efficiently as it used to, your liver will eventually be damaged beyond repair, and you will eventually die...from two glasses a night? nope. But if you're not careful a few glasses a night could turn into a bottle a night and it could lead to more than that. Alcohol is a very slippery slope it's easy to mess up when you feel too good and when your inhibitions are down and you're all carefree. Just be careful and you should be fine!

• As others mentioned, the science goes back and forth on this. But the current general consensus seems to be...

If you are already a drinker - for a man drinking 2 glasses of wine a night is ok and for a women drinking 1 glass of wine a night is ok. If you do NOT drink, there is no way it would be more beneficial to start drinking than to continue to refrain.

Look man, alcohol, whether it's wine, booze, beer, whatever, is a poison. That's just the reality of it, and excessive amounts will impede your gym progress. Wine should be enjoyed, and it's worrying to me that you're using it as a crutch, i.e. replacing one bad habit with another, and frankly, drinking can be a much worse habit than marijuana. You can slide down into some serious physical and mental health issues if you're not careful.

With that said, 2-3 glasses of wine per day is excessive, and I suggest you try to ween yourself off of it. Why not try making yourself a schedule (I mean actually write it down), where you set your limit for the week and stick to it? Like set your limit to 2 glasses per day, then next week 2 glasses every other day, then 1 glass a day, etc.? The point is to lessen your craving for it gradually.

• Tyler

well, there are a lot of studies that go both ways. generally I would say a single glass of wine most nights is the best balance. and there are a number of health factors (second source) that could mean you should consume less.

• David

That depends on your general health and so see your doctor for professional advice.

No.

I would say so. But on the news it said it's good for preventing cancer. The only thing is, alcohol takes a toll on your liver

• Fuhr

I drink a bottle of wine every night and I feel fantastic!