Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

How to get over a dog that got hit by a car?

I’m 17 and I had a poodle since I was in 6th grade , I got him when he was just a couple months old . He was my first He was a part of the family and he started walking outside a lot and he was already used to the neighborhood and everytime someone opened the door he would shoot out . He’s been doing that for a good two years maybe and I’ve had him for 7 years . He often goes around our block but he’s been going across the street a lot for some female dog at another house . He was always back and forth there but on Sunday night or Monday morning he got hit by a car . It was right next to our street and someone told

Me they heard a dog crying but they don’t know if it was him or another dog . I believe he got hit a second time which is when he actually died . My parent didn’t want me to look at him so I never went to go see his body . I just feel so bad and I can’t stop thinking about him. I got him from a friend and his mother lived much longer than 7 years . I feel so bad . I’m sad I wasn’t there by his side during his death and I’m sad that his spirit might hate me for not being there in his time of distress .

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

you dont "get over it"....this is a life lesson in love, responsibility, carelessness, and it should be brutal...not only for you but other family members who share complicity and negligence. having a neighbor remark that a dog was heard crying in the night, sunday OR monday, and then resulting silence as another car came by, with the dogs "family" unaware he was even gone is shocking....

• 5 months ago

I'm not sure you do "get over it" or at least the guilt. Especially if you know, the dog SHOULD HAVE and COULD HAVE been trained (or restrained) since his predilection to BOLT out the door..... was well known. And if he was NOT NEUTERED, then he had an even greater drive to BOLT whenever a female dog was IN HEAT. You can "resolve" or promise to learn from this, and to do better if you ever get another dog, so he will not have died IN VAIN, considering it is also ILLEGAL for dogs to "run loose" in most towns or communities.

• 5 months ago

Accept the fact it was the fault of who ever was too lazy to keep the dog properly confined and let it run loose instead

The fact you were so lazy you ALLOWED the dog to run loose for two years shows you should have another dog since it too will be ran over as well

• 5 months ago

I am very sorry you lost your dog the way you did, but if he'd been trained not to bolt out the door this would not have happened. An untrained dog is liable to do anything. Dog should have been taught that when you reach for the door handle the dog should sit & wait for owner to go through the door first, should be more dominant than the dog. Now that you know that the lack of training was the cause, I hope you train your next dog in Basic Obedience & keep training after trained in Basics.

An untrained dog can be a pain in the butt & a well trained dog is pure pleasure to own.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

buy yourself another pet dog and take care of it. this way you might forget what happened in the past. but you should take 100 percent care of your next canine.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Time is the only healer and of course learning from what happened, that if you ever get another dog, you train them and don't allow them out to wander the streets as dogs that do are a nuisance to other people and get hit by cars and are injured or die

• marty
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I'm sorry for your loss.Time is the only thing that will help. After awhile you'll come to terms with it. I hope you learn from this and next time keep your pets secure so they cant run out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.