ShadowNight asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

I have a 9 week puppy, getting his jab in 2 weeks but i cant drive & the vets is about a 20 min walk. Will he be safe to walk there & back?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Why don’t you just carry the cute little fluffer?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

No he won't be. It only takes ONE dog to infect your unvaccinated puppy. And even if you get a ride to your vet, DO NOT PUT THE PUPPY ON THE WAITING ROOM FLOOR. Although vets should disinfect their examination table after each patient, I take a rug, or towel with me for my puppy(ies) to sit on.

You could, if you don't drive, get your vet to come out or use a cab? When we had a big litter, our vet came out to do the vaccination/health checks rather than have to take them all in.

And your puppy should not be out of your property (on the ground) for a couple of weeks beyond his final vaccination shots either. It's not much to ask to prevent him picking up one of the sometimes fatal dog diseases surely.

ps I'd also suggest that a 20 min. walk might be too far for some puppies to manage yet, especially back again after having had the vaccination.

• 7 months ago

No cause that walk can expose him to parvo, the very reason for the shot. You can carry the dog to the Vet clinic. But isn't this to be done by an adult & not a minor? Legally you don't own the dog, your parents do. If you have not done this before the Vet may refuse to give the shot unless it is brought in by an adult. If you are an adult, it would be much easier on you to carry the pup than if you were just a child.

• 7 months ago

No he WILL NOT be safe!! For heavens sake, the puppy is NOT protected against parvo or distemper viruses that are EVERYWHERE in the environment any other dog might have gone - that is infected or a carrier. Both Parvo and distemper are up to 80% FATAL in unvaccinated OR incompletely vaccinated puppies (by at least 3 sets of spaced out boosters).

You need to carry the puppy the WHOLE WAY and keep the puppy OFF the floor in the vet's waiting outer office OR... catch a ride, or HIRE a ride to the vet's office. Do google (more information) on both Parvovirus & Distemper in puppies. Parvovirus is the NUMBER ONE KILLER, of new pet puppies

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

No, you carry him there and back, the pup is not protected until all its vccinations are finished and for up to a week after, so it should not be walking where other dogs have been until it is protected and the vet will advise you of when that will be..........

• paul
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

not a problem . a good walk is always a good thing

• David
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you're concerned about it then get a taxi there and back or ask the vet for a home visit.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

No. Carry him or catch a ride

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.