Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 6 months ago

Camera question?

When I’m taking a picture my skin looks normal and tan as always but when I take it I look a lot more pale?

What has happened is when the camera flashes, it brightening up everything. Disable the flash and try again

You may want to disable your auto brightness settings if your camera don't habe a flash

• 6 months agoReport

Pale and also causes my wrinkles and my zits to show. What I do is disable the flash or change the gammas in the camera. Computer cameras and iPhones and Android phones this can be done.

If you are using a dslr camera, you are probably shooting in RAW format which just like the name says, the picture is stored unedited and raw. This means you will need to post process the photograph to fix the white blance, color hue, tone, saturation ect.

• keerok

When you're about to take the photo, while looking at the LCD, your skin looks fine but after you take the photo, it's not?

Perfectly normal. You are using the LCD as the viewfinder. It doesn't matter if you're doing this with an expensive dSLR, a high spec'd mirrorless camera, a cheap point-and-shoot camera or even just the camera in your phone. What you see in the LCD is NOT what the picture will look like.

What then is the use of a camera? Ever since time began (or ever since cameras were invented) cameras NEVER took exactly as how our eyes see it. Never! Even if you are a top-rated photographer. Never! That's why photography is an art. Good photographers make pictures look BETTER than the real thing.

So how will you solve your problem? Always remember, IT'S ALL IN THE LIGHT.

What you have written makes no sense.

• Frank

You write "When I’m taking a picture [of] my skin [,it] looks normal and tan as always but when I take it I look a lot more pale?" You're saying when I take a photo of myself I look good, but when I take a photo of myself it looks bad. Grammar counts.

Two different cameras could produce different looking results depending upon sensor, lens and settings. Sensors and eyeballs do not see colors, contrast or brightness in the same way. Therefore you'll never get an image that looks exactly like it did through your own eyes. To make matters worse, various sensors will have various looks. A $2 sensor inside typical iPhone won't produce the same color, contrast or dynamic range found in a proper digital camera. Even when comparing high-end cameras, the colors will be different.

The lens has a lot to do with color and contrast as well. The plastic lens in a smartphone normally doesn't have the coatings that are using in proper digital cameras. If you were to find a smartphone with lens coatings, then the color saturation would be significantly better than had the lens not been coated.

Settings of the camera and especially smartphones will vary no matter the price paid. Most cameras and smartphones have the option to choose color saturation from anything from B&W, to normal, to portrait, to landscape to vivid. Every time when a camera takes the data from the sensor it will apply some degree of in-camera editing. Among these edits is color saturation. An iPhone will likely not apply the same level of color adjustments as, say, an LG or Samsung or a Motorola.

Lastly is the exposure and white balance. If the exposure and/or the white balance is slightly off, then the resulting color will be different.

A lot of variables that can affect color.

If you want a good photo of yourself, go to a pro photographer who has the right equipment and skill and knowledge to provide you what you want. I assume you are trying to use a phone and taking a "selfie". You are lucky to get any image at all. If you are trying to use some semblance of a real camera, then you need to learn about lighting and white balance.

• SRΛSC

Sounds like you need to adjust the saturation, if possible.

Bad lighting? Turn the flash off? Use a filter?

A camera cannot depict what a human eye sees. Also, your camera is terrible.

• 6 months agoReport

Have an iPhone XR