Lia asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 6 months ago

Are medical staff allowed to refuse treatment or surgery to someone based on their tattoos?

I've been wanting to get a tattoo for awhile now of the anti-possession symbol Sam and Dean have tattooed in Supernatural, but my friend is convinced that someone will mistake the design for something cult related and refuse to treat me if I ever need surgery or to be in the hospital. Is it true that medical staff can refuse to treat you based on tattoos you may have?

Favorite Answer

The main part of it is a pentacle, which has been used for thousands of years, so it isnt related purely to the programme. It isnt a cult or evil symbol either.

Medical staff would not refuse to treat you. Remember they receive ALL sorts of people, people they know have committed AWFUL crimes, the police bring them in. They treat everyone, they took an oath

What utter bullsh*te. If you believe this, you maybe too young for a tattoo.

No one can refuse to help a life based on tattoos. Can't imagine that would be acceptable in their oath. 'I swear to help anyone that's in need to help - unless they have tattoos, they can go away and die in a corner'

• mokrie

No they cannot. But are you sure you want a tattoo that will be from a show that is gone in a few years and no one will know what it is? Don't forget it will still be on you when your 70 and tv today will be from the olden days and laughed at.

• ♠ Merlin ♠

The pentacle was used before a religious cross, it isnt a new symbol, merely used by a tv show. Why would it be laughed at? Only by someone with no knowledge, and that isnt an insult

They have to operate on you if it will save your life and it’s safe for them. Let’s assume that you have a unique ink color that’s made by only 1 company and it’s been known to explode if it interacts with a certain numbing agent. In that case, they can refuse service if they don’t have an alternate numbing agent.