promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Help with sink drain!!?

So we live in an apartment and our bathroom drain in the sink drains extremely slow. At first we thought maybe the trap was just clogged so we cleaned it out and removed all debris. Nothing. It s still super slow.

The culprit has to be the drain stopper. It refuses to move. It s stuck in the open position but it almost seems like it s not open all the way. The pull lever to close and open it doesn t work either.

The mechanics below the sink make it difficult too. The lever where the drain stopper is usually connected isn t there? It s like a weird flexible tube.

Help!!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The stopper is operated by a lever that is connected to the knob that goes up through the faucet. So find where the lever goes into the back of the drain pipe at the bottom of the sink.

It's held in place by a nut. Loosen the nut and you can pull the lever all the way out. Then you can lift the stopper all the way up and clean it off.

NOTE: this part will be gross. Just so you're warned.

NOTE also: I recommend removing the trap again and running a finger all the way up inside the pipe, or whatever you can to reach up there, and also remove all the goo that is stuck to the side of the pipe, that doesn't come away with the stopper. Otherwise you're leaving behind an accretion of gunk that more gunk will stick to.

When you're done, drop the stopper back into the drain with its lifter hole toward the back of the sink. Re-insert the lever, testing for engagement, before you tighten the nut down. Tighten the nut enough that it holds the stopper in place where you leave it, but then only tight enough to prevent leaks. Don't go crazy.

NOTE: you appear to have a cable operated stopper, but that's only a detail - the connection is threaded and unscrews like any other stopper lever. Instead of pulling out a lever, you'll undo the ferrule, remove the cam and then you can lift out the stopper.

Good luck with it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

Put the other pipes away and call the landlord.

• roger
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Easy. Sounds like debris in your popup. Look under the sink. See where the rod from the pull up drain knob on the sink attaches to the drain. There will be a nut at the drain pipe. Remove that nut and pull the lever out. Now your pop-up drain will be free- remove it and clean the debris . Put the pop-up lever and nut back on and tighten the nut. The drain should be much clearer now...

• Emily10 months agoReport

This sink does not have the standard rod and lever attachment, I know the one you're speaking of. Instead of that it's like a flexible thin tube that attaches to the pipes below. Jiggling it slightly moves the part you pull to close the stopper, but doesn't move it.

• 10 months ago

Normally, for a residential apartment, repairs of that nature are the responsibility of the landlord. You will probably assume liability for the work if you do it yourself.

I know it's typically for the landlord but I don't believe it's broken, I believe it's simply just dirty or clogged. I really just need to take the mechanism apart to clean it, I've just never seen this type of assembly for a drain stopper.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

So it's a cable-operated system.

Can you lever the stopper (plug) up out of it's recess?

There's typically an adjustment screw on the base of the stalk

Yes! I believe so. I've tried to pull the stopper, twist it, everything. It only will go down and stay closed. Then it'll pop open if you push on the lever thing by the faucet. I'll look into the adjustment screw and see if I can find it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.