How much college loans did everyone have and how long did it take to pay it off?

Really worried about college and paying of debt.

18142 dollars in debt no degree lol. I'll pay it off in a year though

Source(s): 18142 dollars in debt no degree lol I got to pay it off in a year

385,000, 8 years.

Use skillshare for your education

Military. Zero.

$200,000 for law school. Still in debt

loan covered nearly all the expense

except travel to home town,clothes and such.

it took 4 years to repay after completion of education.

• MS

I went to school for 7 straight years and completed a Ph.D. I took out a total of $8,000 in loans, all for my undergraduate. They were paid off within just a few years of finishing my Ph.D.

I had scholarship money that covered a lot of my undergrad expenses, and I also worked on campus. I only needed loans for 2 of my 3 undergraduate years - my RA job the last year covered all of my room/board costs and the stipend covered the rest of my tuition.

For grad school, I was loaned the money by a family member to purchase a used mobile home. I lived there for about $300 a month, including lot rent and all utilities. My graduate assistantship paid about $700 a month and covered my tuition and fees. When I was done, I sold the mobile home and repaid the loan immediately.

Not everyone can find themselves scholarships, jobs, and asssitantships that will cover so many of their costs. But there are ways of reducing the amount of loans you need to take out.

It took less time to pay off student loans when I graduated because college expenses were less back then -- and that's even with loans accruing interest. The cost today of the private liberal arts college that I attended is nearly 18 times higher than it was back then. But the average middle class salary certainly hasn't increased that rapidly, making it much harder for today's students to afford college. And that's even if they attend state universities, which are cheaper. (The cost of the state university my brother attended is only 8 times higher than when he graduated, making it more affordable for middle-class families within our state.) My parents paid off my loans two years after graduation when they inherited some money. I later repaid them with interest.

You will have less problems if you start working. Also, it depends what college you're attending. Debts vary.

I never took a loan and worked to pay for school. No debt, no problems.

• Big Mouth

Hardly convinced. Who's paying you to lie for them?