Joy asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 7 months ago

Ground Wire on outside of outlet?

I had DirecTV install TV services. They plugged the box into the wall and screwed a wire to the screw in the middle of the outlet. I assume this is a ground wire? Would it effect plugging in a surge protector in the same outlet?

Newer TV equipment needs a ground. The screw holding the cover plate on an electrical outlet is frequently grounded. Not always but it is easy to check which the installers presumably did.

• Dale-E

I strongly suspect you have obsolete wiring with only a hot and neutral wire going to your outlet. This being the case at hand, even a surge protector will not protect your equipment. You need a separate grounded wire with a 3 prong outlet for them to work efficiently. The reason is that, your neutral may not even be properly grounded. Good grounding is an art with a lot of science behind it.

IF the box is grounded, the wire to the screw would act as a ground.

It wouldn't affect a surge protector. However, I have never seen a surge protector that didn't require a 3 prong outlet. If you have a 3 prong outlet, the third prong is a ground, and a wire to the screw is redundant.

• Joy7 months agoReport

The wire to the screw is for the DirecTV box. Yes, my surge protector has 3 prongs. I've never seen someone screw a wire to the outside of an outlet before.

• Jeff D

Yes, it's a ground wire. It should have not have any adverse effect assuming the outlet itself is properly grounded.

Satellite and cable systems should also be grounded before they enter the house. Installers will sometimes neglect to do this.

it is an equipment ground wire. Used to bond and ground the system. And no it will not effect the surge protector.