I want to raise money for a charity I am not a part of. What is the legality of this?

I’ve become invested in a charity and what they do, specifically helping people in third world countries. I want to raise money and donate to them, I was thinking maybe a GoFundMe or another funding site. But I’m not sure about the legality of this since I’m not a part of them. Thank you to anyone who can try and explain this!

Check out charities On the BBB site or Charity Navigator. These two can give you an idea of what is trustworthy or not.

• Janet

You cannot do this.

The charity itself is the only one who can raise funds. You CAN volunteer in their fund-raising activities, but those will always be under the umbrella of their organization.

Try to raise money over GoFundMe or anothr funding site, and you face possible criminal prosecution.