Would you say this person was rude?

I met up with a girl I had never met before - just because we both wanted to make new friends - we did some shopping and ate at a restaurant.

When it was time to go back home - she never offered to give me a ride home and I was around an hour by bus away.

I know she has no legal obligation to drive me home but I think the polite thing is to consider the person's interests and do what is best for them.

I mean I always take care of my friends - even if it means I have to give up my own happiness so they can be happy.

• susan
    Favorite Answer

I'm going to vote no. The two of you didn't have an established friendship yet, and whatever friendship you might be going to have was just starting to take shape. She might have noticed that you wanted a ride home but was being cautious about setting up a pattern where her generosity was going to be habitually taken advantage of. Consistently giving up your own happiness to make friends happy is not an emotionally healthy way of life. She was open to have a healthy relationship with you where you treat each other as equals, if you were available for that, and that is how she treated you on that day. She didn't treat you as a person in need, for her to help, nor as a person with assets, for her to use. Instead she treated you as an equal, someone to spend time with and enjoy each others company for its own sake.

Of course, if you two grow close and have an established relationship, there could be times in the future, even whole seasons, when one of you has troubles and the other gives more than they take in the relationship. But that would be based on already having a history with that person. Starting out on that foot may not have seemed wise to her.

It's also possible that she wasn't aware that you didn't have a good way to get home other than an hour bus ride. People who haven't used public transportation, or have used it only in cities where public transportation is super convenient, may not realize how time consuming each trip can be.

i think she was rude too

No, that person was not rude at all.

It was rude of you to expect that someone you just met and who doesn't even know you spend an hour driving you home simply because you didn't want to take the bus.

• ?

I don't get it. Are you asking if she was rude for driving you home?

• bluebellbkk

No, she didn't drive him home: that's what he's moaning about.

That’s considered rude to some people but not all. Maybe she felt like she didn’t know you well enough even though that’s not good of a reason to me. Always remember that everybody isn’t you, and everybody isn’t me.

• bluebellbkk

They had only just met. They are both adults. One adult is not required to take responsibility for another adult's transport. A different matter if they go on seeing each other and become friends. They are not yet friends.