why would anyone use router if they could connect directly to LAN?
- Andy TLv 76 months ago
Router is a very prominent tool of the trade in setting up a workplace LAN installation, your skill level maybe just inserting the RJ45 cable far from proper true tradesman.
Home router is all-in-one device with NAT and firewalling tackled to it.
- RoddyLv 76 months ago
LAN means 'local area network', so as soon as you connect any 2 or more devices together you have created a LAN.
A router is essential to connect between 2 different networks (e.g. your LAN and the Internet). If you were to connect your computer directly to a modem then your computer has become an integral part of the Internet and can be directly seen (and accessed) by anyone out on the Internet.
A router provides you with several advantages:
1. Network Address Translation (NAT) hides your computer from the Internet except to handle requests made by you.
2. It allows more than one device to connect on your side (e.g. 2 or more computers, tablets, printers) and thus be able to talk to one another.
3. It provides WiFi capabilities.
4. It may contain a firewall (at least in software, but sometimes in hardware too).
- I Like StoriesLv 76 months ago
1. So you can have WiFi
2. So you can connect multiple devices to the Internet at the same time.
3. Router has a feature called Network Address Translation (NAT) which essentially hides your network from the Internet.
Contrary to the other answers, routers generally don't have a firewall, it's the NAT feature which provides the security.
- BigELv 76 months ago
There is almost no firewall from a modem. At best, you are trusting a software firewall, something that can inadvertently be turned off.
You can't have multiple devices if the ISP only doles out one ip to you, which most currently do.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- ShadowLv 46 months ago
LAN is just a connection to a internal network of devices or computers and allows for sharing of content between devices. A router is a device that translates the connection from the internal network to the external network (internet) and vice versa. It also provided protection from threats by use of a firewall which normal lan switches do not have.
- JohnLv 76 months ago
For a better firewall.