My sump pump runs every minute. If i unplug it the water level rises and stops well before it reaches the floor. Should i have it raised?

Favorite Answer

I would. As long as you are satisfied with the natural water table, there is no need to fruitlessly try to lower it

Raise the pump

The pump is under powered or the intake is clogged. It should evacuate the sump and shut off. Or the mercury switch is bad if it runs with minimal water in the sump.

• elhigh

I don't recommend it. I would be a lot more interested to know why there's so much water infiltration right under the slab, and take steps to improve drainage.

• roger

That will not help. Your water table is just below the floor. You need to lower the water or raise the floor.

I do not think this is the entire story

• ICU2

No you shouldn't raise it...when you unplug it the water level stops because its backing up under the slab...If your getting a lot of rain it will come on a lot more...

If it has a plastic housing yes. If it is cast metal them running constantly should not be a problem. I assume you have had recent rain. Once that finishes draining the pump will shut off. Just make sure the float switch isn't stuck against the wall of the catch basin or has some debris jamming it opened.