Shateara asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

I had a kitten with fleas in my house for two days...how do I prevent an infestation?

I was planning to adopt a kitten. A friend of mine rescued him and when she gave him to me I didn t realize that he had fleas. Well, long story short. I bathen him twice the day I got him and once the day after. She came to pick him up on the third day. I managed to get some off of him but when he left he was still scratching. I have cleaned the carpet, vacuumed the furniture and applied flea spray to the upholstery, linen and curtains. I also vacuumed, swept and mopped the whole apartment. My apartment building is about 100 years old. As you can imagine there are cracks and crevices everywhere. I plan to continue cleaning every day for the next few weeks but I won t be able to close the cracks immediately. How do I avoid an infestation. Also, the building has mice. Please help.

Fleas aren’t that big of a deal on cats. As long as you dont have a couple of larger animal that are insanely infested for a longer period of time then they won’t infest you house like termites, so your good there.

If they were there then you would see flea bits on yourself.

They generally want to stay on the animal and don’t like people’s bare skin. You won’t get fleas from just a few days with the kitten (that would take a lot more cats and a lot more fleas). The cat was probably scratching from the bites it had gotten before hand. If that’s why you gave it back then that’s too bad. They aren’t hard to get rid of with kittens and arn’t a big deal.

The exsesive cleaning sounds like overkill. Fleas like carpets & fabric furniture, not hard floors. You don’t need to mop, just do a load of laundry in hot water and use flea spray before and after running a vacuum over the materials.

PS. Rat and mouse infestations carry more fleas then a kitten. That’s how the plague was spread.

Source(s): Work in a rescue center, I treat and see animals come in with fleas all the time. Have taken in cats and dogs with fleas before and treated them in house (with religious cleaning) and never had an infestation. It’s a manageable problem.
  • Ocimom

I would just put down some Diatomatious Earth on your carpets one more time and leave it there for a few days. I think you have done enough and that should take care of any of the fleas that may remain.

• J C

You are really overreacting here. You realize of course that you risk bringing in fleas on your shoes and clothing, and that those mice have fleas as well? All you can do is vacuum daily, and put a strip of cheap flea collar in your canister/bag. Cut a small strip, put it in the bag, seal up the rest, then wash your hands well - those things are toxic. Complain to the landlord about the mice - you are at more risk for those than having a flea or two perhaps in the house from the kitten.

• PAMELA

Unless you get some good flea killer you already have an infestation! get the kitten to a vet to be properly treated, bathing solves nothing, there are now fleas and eggs of fleas all around your house.

It usual takes several things to get a total infestation like your worrying about. Most people's pets have fleas for weeks to months before they discover them, enough for the fleas to drop and get all over.

One good thing about them (if there is anything good) they don't tend to spread out like most insects. They do search for the best most opportune areas once matured to hitch a ride for their meals and are rarely caught in kitchen cupboards, closets (unless your pet hangs there) etc, they are attracted to areas where pets and people stays in that area frequently and they tend to congregate where pets seep, eat, play etc, rarely in rooms where the dog never goes, with the exception of jumping off a pet, occasional they go flying in areas pets don't usually populate. The eggs do drop everywhere and when hatched the large hide deep in carpets or under furniture because they don't like bright direct light. When it's bad enough to have an infection like your worrying about it's been months and months where they have been breeding and living unchecked. By then they are everywhere, in the furniture, on counters, behind and under warm and darker areas and especially eating on your pet.

Seeing that the kitten was there less than 3 days chances are with what you have done and what your planning on doing, that should cover it well. The several infestations I have helped destroy I vacuumed daily and used flea powder / spray weekly, they were sufficient enough to kill off every pest. Unlike roaches that live on anything and live everywhere whereas fleas need a blood source to survive, they congregate where they get their food and don't disappear to make giant nests like roaches or ants. Their total survival depends on a warm blooded hoast, does not make sense to congregate in the bathroom for instance and wait there hoping something may come soon before they die.

A fleas life style pretty much consistes of birth, finding a host to feed on, maturing, mating, eating, laying eggs and repeating the eating and reproduction till they die. They average about 3 month life span, the females do not start laying eggs until her first blood meal. She eats lays eggs, when the eggs are mature they drop onto the carpet and dig deep into the carpet or under furniture away from the light unti they hatch. Once they hatch and are able they jump onto a host to feed and the cycle keeps going.

Breaking the cycle consists of using flea products, daily vacuuming as well as washing the pets blankets and bedding weekly, and shaking them out daily outside away from the house where your pets don't hang out and hanging them in the bright sunlight outside. Most people recommend twice weekly for washing and then line drying. You can use a hot dreyer if the fabric tolerates heat, most pet beds don't because of shrinkage.

From the short time the kitten was there chances are you won't have an infestation if you've cleaned and vacuumed well. Many people say vacuuming weekley is enough but since the eggs hatch daily I vacuume daily because twice a week I didn't see any dent in the enormous problem my brothers house had, once I started daily then they seemed to disappear at a fast rate, after 5 days we could no longer see them jumping around on the pets bed. After a week we no longer found any hiding, however we kept up a solid 2 week assult just to make extra sure and won the war against them.

Good luck and don't worry so much, without a host they cannot reproduce.

• patty

if there are any fleas left I would be shocked

You have probably done enough, but if you are feeling paranoid you can get some diatomatious earth and sprinkle it around in the corners and crevices and leave it there til you feel you need to vaccum it up. Diatomatious earth is to bugs what coarsly broken up bottles is to us, it will cut them up as they walk over it.

If you are this paranoid about kitten fleas, you may want to rethink adopting a cat.

Unless you actually see fleas, or have evidence that they are there, you are in the clear.

• Shateara6 months agoReport

I saw two juveniles and I found empty egg cases but that was before I vacuumed. I haven't seen anything since.