I had a kitten with fleas in my house for two days...how do I prevent an infestation?

I was planning to adopt a kitten. A friend of mine rescued him and when she gave him to me I didn t realize that he had fleas. Well, long story short. I bathen him twice the day I got him and once the day after. She came to pick him up on the third day. I managed to get some off of him but when he left he was still... show more I was planning to adopt a kitten. A friend of mine rescued him and when she gave him to me I didn t realize that he had fleas. Well, long story short. I bathen him twice the day I got him and once the day after. She came to pick him up on the third day. I managed to get some off of him but when he left he was still scratching. I have cleaned the carpet, vacuumed the furniture and applied flea spray to the upholstery, linen and curtains. I also vacuumed, swept and mopped the whole apartment. My apartment building is about 100 years old. As you can imagine there are cracks and crevices everywhere. I plan to continue cleaning every day for the next few weeks but I won t be able to close the cracks immediately. How do I avoid an infestation. Also, the building has mice. Please help.