Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

I feel like it was kind of rude what my coworkers said to my boss. Am I right or wrong?

One of my coworkers is working on a difficult problem. My boss said "well I'm sure you'll figure it out". Then my coworker said "wow thanks for the encouragement" and pretty much everyone laughed but me. I didn't laugh because my boss didn't laugh lol.

• TC

You are right that your co-worker's response to your boss was rude

your coworker was sarcastic--and yes, rude. And you were smart not to laugh when you saw your boss not laughing--I'm guessing your coworkers and his chums will get a few more difficult problems to solve in the near future...

i think your boss was rude by not helping hirn

• susan

This didn't occur in a vacuum. You have a boss that believes the other employee needs to solve the problem himself/herself, perhaps this is to develop the job skills (or life skills) of your coworker. And you have that coworker, who expressed frustration in that moment toward your boss. The rudeness was only rude toward your boss, no one else. Your boss accepted the frustrated comment and let it pass, so now you should drop it and don't discuss this with anyone else from your work, because it isn't your business. Discussing a coworker's rudeness is troublemaking behavior. Nobody at work wants a troublemaker.

Important to remember, people have different takes on any situation. Some of your co-workers found the response amusing, you chose not to laugh. No right or wrong, simply a different perspective.

There's nothing here to be 'right' or 'wrong' about. People who thought it was funny laughed; people who didn't think it was funny didn't laugh.

You need to get a life.

Was it rude? Yes. Is it going to affect you? No. Thus why ask the question.

• Stoo

No one cares. Why do you?