I was wondering. I work at a hospital and have a bachelors in health administration. Those jobs don’t come open very often though. Why?

I have worked at the hospital for almost 2 years and am working in laundry. Nothing seems to come open.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Why don't those jobs open often? Well, for one, they aren't entry-level jobs. A sizable majority of your competition for those jobs has a masters degree in Health Administration. A bachelor's in HA is a bit like a bachelors in psychology: On its own, it doesn't get you very far. It mostly exists as a means by which to get you into graduate school. The entry-level jobs are in HR, finance, and business operations. You will not be an administrator without more education and experience. There is too much competition for too few slots.

Source(s): Working on my master's in nursing
    • Login to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Why? How many jobs of that nature are there. Only in Hospitals and may be some large Doctors Offices, so for each job there are to many people there to take it so they take a lower job and wait for the other to open and they are moved up on the inside track.

• edward
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In my hospital people with that kind of title are normally titled “director” example,“Director of Health and Information Services...” it’s a secure job, they will retire from that job, no quit

• Jay
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

People do not leave jobs where the pay is fair, the hours are good, the benefits are great and the working conditions are nice.

You should probably put your resume on INDEED , MONSTER and other websites if you are job hunting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

The people that have them don't leave.

• Alex
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

You're holding yourself back if you're sitting around waiting for a position to open up in this hospital. Make sure you're applying at every hospital within driving distance of your home.

And if those don't get you anywhere, start looking at the possibility of relocating to another city (people do this all the time to gain experience). This doesn't have to be a permanent relocation. Just until you have enough experience to land you the kind of job you want where you currently live. The alternative may be doing laundry for the rest of your life.

• 6 months ago

Your fist mistake was taking the laundry position. Go ask for a promotion ASAP into an office type job.

• 6 months ago

Put it this way. Your average hospital has perhaps 200 doctors, 400 nurses, 30 laundry staff, and ONE administrator. The current administrators at the local hospitals aren't going to retire until they are likely in their 60s, maybe their 70s. So if the current administrator is 45, then the next opening will be in 20 years. Your patience won't last. Mine wouldn't. Nobody's would.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because people with those jobs don't retire a lot.

Should have asked about that before majoring in it. You may have to take a job outside hospitals.

• 6 months ago

An entry level job in "health administration" may not exist.

You should be looking for department administrator/coordinator or other business operations in a healthcare environment.

Updated:

I'm not sure I phrased my answer right. You shouldn't be looking for jobs with the title "health administrator". Those are only going to be geared towards upper level jobs. For entry level jobs, you are going to be looking for jobs with titles like administrator, coordinator, or business operations.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.