Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 6 months ago

Does anyone know what you do in soccer referee training classes? (Michigan)?

Does anyone know what you do in soccer referee training classes? what do you actually cover in the class? is it a lot of sitting and listing or are you actually out on a field practicing? (Michigan) I understand they have made a humongous change to the way Michigan refs are trained this year but could anyone tell me from past experience?

yes, I understand you would learn to be a referee for the game of soccer :) I have already taken the 4.5-hour online portion of the grassroots referee course, learned about all the laws and when to use cards, the flag signals for AR´S etc. so I guess what im looking for is what else is there to learn?

• John
    Favorite Answer

I was a USSF Referee Instructor for 13 years, but the courses have changed completely from the way I used to teach them.

One thing to stay aware of, though, is that a candidate has to think of everything in 2 different ways. The first viewpoint is that you have to become familiar with the LOTG and their nuances. You then have to know what the match officials must do as those situations come up in a game. For example, you must know when a PK is to be awarded. You also need to know where you should be and what to look for during the taking of that PK, both as a referee and an AR.

• DEBS

I haven't done of the entry level tests in a very long time, but I suggest you ask at bigsoccer.com referee site. They are typically knowledgeable and helpful. (Sometimes they get too technical with specific questions, but this type you will likely get decent answers.)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/referee.44/

I would think that you learn to be a referee for the game of soccer.