Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 months ago

Why is it not big news that former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens died?

It was wall to wall coverage a few years back when Justice Antonin Scalia died. There was wall to wall coverage when Thurgood Marshall died I recall also. When William Rehnquist died there was even an NBC News Special Report about it it was such huge news.

Tonight I am watching the news and Justice John Paul Stevens' death is not getting anymore coverage then Auto Industry Legend Lee Iacocca's death or Bart Starr, Gloria Vanderbilt, or Ross Perot this year. I would think a Supreme Court Justice, even if retired, would be much bigger news then the other people mentioned. I'd say Ross Perot even got more coverage.

Why is John Paul Stevens, while reported, not really big news?

Favorite Answer

Scalia was still on the court when he died.

Thurgood Marshall had been the first African-American Justice.

Perot came closest to being President without a major party nomination of anyone since certainly the 1860s and maybe ever (except George Washington, who ran unopposed before there were major party nominations for President).

Stevens was "just" another retired white Justice, not currently on the court, not the first of his race, and not a former Presidential candidate.

Justice Antonin Scalia was famous for his decisions. A sitting justice, only the second death of a serving justice in a span of sixty years

Stevens is a RETIRED Nobody.

Scalia and Rehnquist were still sitting on the bench and Marshall was the first Black Justice. That is probably why more attention was paid to their deaths. I think most people didn't even know who Stevens was or that he was the second oldest to ever hold the position.

You know, I'm waiting for some idiot CONServative reply.

Remember when the idiot CONS said that Justice Scalia was murdered? No proof-just idiot ranting because one of theirs died naturally.

Liberals, Democrats and Progressives were sorry when he stepped down but perhaps he knew his health was failing.

Because everyone is too busy trying to call Trump a racist.