Can I get away with using my normal insurance to drive with Uber or lyft?

Or is this monitored heavily and I have to get a commercial or ride share plan

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't do it. If you have any kind of claim or incident your normal company will drop you and you won't get insurance elsewhere.

Your normal insurance is voided as soon as you start driving towards a fare because you're now driving for "hire and reward".

• Login to reply the answers
  • May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Yes but if you have an accident, your claim will be denied and you will have to pay out of pocket.

• 6 months ago

Only if you want them to deny your claim when they find out you've been using your vehicle for commercial use.

(Which they will).

• 6 months ago

So, you only need insurance in case something goes wrong. If something goes wrong while driving for one of them...sure, you have some coverage through the app...but thats just the start.

If your accident happens in phase 1, when you've turned on the app but haven't gotten a job yet...during this time...any accident would be 100% on you.

So, not only would you have to pay for whatever damage you cause out of pocket, you could be prosecuted for insurance fraud. For reference, insurance fraud makes a DUI look like a parking ticket when it comes to the long term penalties and issues...

• Tim6 months agoReport

Duly noted

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It's not that it's monitored, it's when you do get into a wreck you won't be covered and they will deny the claim. Best to get the proper insurance.

• 6 months ago

Read the fine print on your policy. Mine says "Not covered for commercial use" - and the insurance company will investigate deeply if you are in an accident.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The only time it'll be caught is when you need it. When you make a claim and it's clear you're operating as a commercial business, you'll be caught lying on your insurance and whatever claim you make will be null and void.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.