Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

If I work 8 hour shifts on the week days , is it fair for my puppy to be crated all this time?

Would it be considered cruel to leave my puppy in a crate for extended periods of time? ( several hours) while I am away at work ?

Right now , what I have been doing is let her roam around the apartment freely while I am away....I don't want her to be confined in such a small space . Because then she might be unhappy.

Sometimes when I come home , I see that she has peed on the floor.

● "If I work 8 hour shifts on the week days , is it fair for my puppy to be crated all this time?"

Not only are you too cowardly to display your own avatar & username, you ALSO aren't playing fair about how L-O-N-G you are away from home.

I am probably being too generous to add that you leave home ONLY 1 hour before you reach work, plus it takes you another 1 hour before you reach home, and how often you work over-time. But I'm betting that Pup is "home alone" at LEAST 10 HOURS on most days.

Nor have you told us anything useful about Pup's AGE and BREED, and the IMPORTANT details about your accommodation.

● "Would it be considered cruel to leave my puppy in a crate for extended periods of time? ( several hours) while I am away at work ?"

THAT merely repeats your first question.

● "Right now , what I have been doing is let her roam around the apartment freely while I am away....I don't want her to be confined in such a small space . Because then she might be unhappy."

So let's now have you click [Edit] under your question, then click the [Add Update] that will pop up, followed by typing the following INFORMATION:

💥1: What are pup's AGE, BREED (or breeds), and GENDER?

💥2: Is he/she fertile? Or neutered? How long have you had him/her?

💥3: On ordinary workdays, what TIME do you leave the apartment, and what TIME do you re-open the apartment's door?

💥4: How much later returning home are you on days with overtime because of a heavy workload?

💥5: Does "your" apartment have a back door opening straight into a well-fenced back yard?

💥6: What arrangements have you made for Pup to have a raw gnaw bone and cool water, and to have somewhere to go toilet when you're not home?

● "Update: Sometimes when I come home , I see that she has peed on the floor."

Say goodbye to "your" apartment. SEEING piddle isn't the problem - but the landlord SMELLING it is sure to see you thrown out without any refund from your deposit.

Here's hoping for your responses within 24 hours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss a breed, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE. Then send an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about that breed. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• J M

This is cruel. A puppy does not have bladder control. You could confine her to one room to make sure she doesn't do any damage.

• Ocimom

I'm sure she has peed in more place then the floor! WHY do people get puppies and expect them to hold it and not pee/poop all day long when you are not there?????

Puppies need to be taken out to pee/poop every few hours till they are properly trained. Putting down pee pads in the house is NOT training the dog and the dog will end up using carpets, rugs and other places to pee. And who is training the puppy in basic obedience when you are gone?

If you wanted a dog, you should have gotten an older dog that is already trained. I strongly suggest you rehome the puppy and either get another pet like a cat (not a kitten), caged animal or an older dog.

• J C

Crating is not the solution to the problem. Letting her out to eliminate IS the solution. Most pups cannot "hold it" for that long, so of course she's going to pee on the floor. You need to get a family member/friend/pet sitter to come and let her out to potty during the day. That is something you should have thought of - and made arrangements for - prior to getting a puppy.

The pet sitting service (highly recommended by my vet) that we used for our last short vacation had a large number of clients who would use them for exactly your situation. The particular woman who we were assigned (after we met each other) had many dogs/pups of working people who she cared for during the day. She would go into their homes, take them outside for a walk, play with them, so some basic training for them, and then move on to the next home. You pay by the hour. Be sure the service is licensed, insured, and bonded. I was initially apprehensive - my dear friend who always pets sits for me had just had surgery - but I was very pleased. Daily text messages and pictures. So if nothing else, get one of those services for your pup.

• Maxi

8 hours is too long to leave any pup alone and without walks, outside time and toileting regardless of you 'house' it, you need to find someone friend/family/next door or employ a dog walker to take the dog out at least a couple of times during those 8 hours....... if you leave it to run around you home you will have a pup who grows up thinking that toileting is OK to do in the home, chewed up items as well and the only one to blame is you for not providing for the needs of a pup.it is not easy when you want a dog and work full time but if that is the case you need to provide for the pups needs too

NO IT'S NOT. If there's anything I feel strongly about, it's the over-use of crates. They were never meant to be used like that. Yes, they are useful to put a puppy when you can't be right there to supervise (ie for a couple of hours max during the day, if that, and overnight). But for 8 hours + if you are delayed getting home for some reason.

Not for 8 hours in a working week - and then, presumably, another 6 - 8 hours overnight. The puppy won't develop muscles etc. as it should if it's stuck in a crate for that long, if nothing else.

If you have to work, then find a day creche for her go to where she can run around as she should be doing. Of course she's messing if left for 8 hours with nobody to take her out I'm surprised she's not wrecked your place if she was left loose in there alone for all those hours! Dogs are social creatures and it's cruel to leave them alone all day.

Fact is if we'd not been able for me to stop working full time, there would have been NO DOG. Literally.

• Aged Kiwi

I STRONGLY think your:
      "The puppy won't develop muscles etc. as it should if it's stuck in a crate for that long, if nothing else."
      was meant to be:
      "If nothing else: If it's stuck in a crate for that long the puppy won't develop muscles etc as it should."

• *****

No, it is not fair to crate a puppy for an 8 hour workday with no breaks. Someone needs to be coming by during the day to take it out to use the bathroom at intervals appropriate for its age. Puppies are not appropriate choices for someone who works full time and cannot make arrangements for some level of care at regular intervals during work.

No, nor is it appropriate to leave the puppy LOOSE to pee on the floor therefore okaying or allowing it to BREAK housetraining (if it ever became house broken). 8 to 12 week old puppies CANNOT hold urine more than 2 hours during active periods of play. They must be taken out after two hours time to relieve themselves - their bladders are TOO small to hold urine any longer. And puppies between age 8 and 16 weeks MUST be fed a lunch time meal and get a poop break right afterwards - which means YOU (or a dogwalker) need to be there. Any puppy 16 weeks of age needs to be let out at least every 4 hours.

Puppies need frequent small bouts of training and LOTS of socialization - so HOW are you providing ANY OF THAT..... if you are not there the majority of the day? HOW do you expect the puppy to turn into a confident or well mannered adult, if you NEGLECT the very important "formative" puppy period? You will NEVER get back the very short window for proper socialization (that pretty much ENDS at 16 weeks).

• Laura

If she has peed on the floor, that means she cannot stay by herself for 8 hours.

She needs to be let out every day so she doesn't keep having accidents in the house. this will make potty training very difficult.

If you can't get home on your lunch break to let her out, get someone else to do it for you. If you can't then you should find a new home for the puppy. Its just mean to expect her to hold her bladder for that long, plus it will cause serious health issues later on in life.

• Verulam 1

Puppies need to be taken out to empty roughly every 2 hours, when awake. Not left alone at home even up to lunchtime (when presumably this puppy would need to be fed in any case!).

• Liar

Then why do you suddenly want to crate her...? Is letting her roam not working out? Is she wetting on the floor? Unless you have solid reason to lock her in a crate, then don't.

Edit: Then your best option would be to find a friend, family member, or service who can stop by during the day to let her out for a pee. Additionally, you might consider attempting to train her to utilize a dog litter box. Yep, they exist.

• J C

Dogs are not cats. Cats instinctively use a litter box because it's natural for them to cover their waste. All a litter box or pee pads do is teach a dog that it's perfectly OK to pee/poo in the house, and that means anywhere. The living room rug, the kitchen floor, etc. Bad bad idea.