Jen
Jen asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

How to stop my dog from acting aggressively towards other dogs?

My dog is an 8 year old terrier mix and about 40 lbs. (for context I also have another elder dog that's a 12 year old lab female thats 60 lbs and they get along Great.) anyway my 8 year old dog is is constantly barking at the fence with my neighbors dogs. And when I walk him and there's another dog in sight, He's barking, pulling on the leash, and lunging. Up until this point I wasn't too concerned with this problem until one day when I was walking my dog, a pit bull got out of its house and came charging towards my dogs. As you would expect my Male dog barked and lunged at the dog. I called for both of my dogs and only my female dog came behind me. (Since my dog was on his leash he was about a 3 feet away from me.) when the pitbull and my dog got close they began to sniff each other. My dog barked and immediately my dog's neck was in the pitbulls mouth. My Male dog began to scream In the most horrific way (we've run into big dogs before, but this is the first dog that has bit back.) a man (from inside the house) and his teenage son who left the door open had to punch their dog To get it unlatched from my dogs neck. There was a lot of blood (mostly from their dog) and my dog had a puncture wound on his neck. He's fine now and everything is back to normal, but It was a traumatizing experience. Even after that my male dog does not seem to have learned his lesson. What can i do to avoid this in the future?

• J C

Many terriers are feisty - remember that pit mutts are really giant terrier types. You cannot change that in your dog. Start over with basic obedience. Keep working on it until you get an instant response each and every time. Sit, stay, down, leave it. Until then walk the dogs separately so that you have better control over the terrier, before it ends badly for him. If the owners of the large dog hadn't intervened, you would have a dead dog. Do NOT permit the lunging and barking. Put him in a down/stay and make him stay there until the behavior stops - hence the obedience training at home. You may need to change your walk time/route to avoid any dogs. You cannot change temperament nor breed - but you can work more on the training aspect, and put it to use.

• Jojo

That`s some terriers for you. Lots if them have fiery natures and also being small they tend to like showing the world that just because they are small they are a force to be reckoned with (or hope they are). Its inevitable that one day they will pick on the wrong dog and one that will stand no nonsense from a `pip squeak` such as a cocky little terrier.

Obviously if your terrier has still not learnt his lesson at 8 years old he is not going to change his attitude now, no matter what.

What can you do in the future?

Its now up to you to keep him safe and away from other dogs and chastise him forcefully when he barks at them whilst on the lead and reward him if he is quiet.

Make your side of the fence solid, so that your terrier mix cannot see your neighbors dog.

It was unwise of you to not be very concerned about your terriers behaviour, and you should blame yourself for your dog getting bitten.

He could have been killed!!

A barking terrier will not scare a big dogs and most big dogs will tolerate a smaller barking dog as no threat, and often the small dog barks because it is scared and is trying to frighten the larger dog away.

But other some large dogs if pushed too far WILL retaliate, and ESPECIALLY a breed like Pit Bull type dog.

I hope you have learnt something by this episode and will be more cautious in the future and more assertive in correcting your terrier mix`s lunging and barking.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

Walk with pepper spray.

• keerok

The lab gets along easily with any other dog since it's very submissive. It can get along with cats and mice too. It will even tour a would robber around your house pointing to where your safe is hidden.

The aggressive dog needs behavior modification. - training. Call Cesar?

Your dog being a terrier and 8 years old will be a hard challenge, since you didn’t stop his behaviour early it’s life .

Your best just to keep him out of harms way .