Any advice you a two year old going through sleep regression?

My little one is usually a wonderful sleeper. She never gives us any trouble until now. A few nights ago she woke up screaming at 2:30 am and we didn't get her back to sleep until 4:45.

Now she does not go to sleep at all. We do bedtime routine and I say it's time for bed. She walks herself to her room and I put her in her crib, lay her down, and say goodnight. The moment I walk out of the room she is screaming and melting down. She throws her blanket and sleepy toy and just screams.

My husband is a firm believer that we just let her cry herself to sleep. But after an hour I usually can't take it anymore and go get her.

Can someone offer some advice? All the articles I've read love to tell me why this is happening, talk about power struggles, and what kind of bedtime routine I should use but not a single one says what to do when that routine doesn't f-ing work!

Stressed out and sleepy mommy could really use some advice. Thanks.

• PR

Could she have an ear infection? They are worse when you lay down, which is why it makes it harder for a child to sleep.

• keerok

Rewards?

Sleep for one minute, give her a reward. Forget brushing teeth and that candies are bad for the teeth. Those will fall off anyway. Be prepared and do what you promise. If you say you'll give her an m&m if she keeps quiet for a minute then do so. Keep on working with 1 minute until she gets drowsy enough and sleep longer. What's important is she shuts her eyes and keep perfectly quiet in 1 minute. Once she breaks that before time is up, restart the timer. Show her that you're serious too. If all goes well, the next night, go with 2 minutes, then 3, then 4, increasing your rewards too, then when you reach 10 minutes, go to 15 then 20 up to 1 pack for 1 hour then go by the hour until you'll be promising a trip to the toy store and buy a toy within a predetermined budget of course when she sleeps quietly the whole night for a week or so.

Remember, reward good behavior instantaneously and ignore the bad ones. If she continues to cry, just sit there waiting with chocolate in hand but not giving it to her. Read a book quietly by her bedside or watch on a tablet without letting her join you. Drive in what you want. You're the adult. You should be the one followed.