How to cure Salmon for Sashimi?

I love Raw salmon sushi, and recently i went to Sams and bought me a half slamon.

Question, i know i need to cure it before eating it raw.

Ive done plenty of research and the bottom line to curing seems to be the following:

Place inside a ziplock with as least possible in it, and freeze for 7 days, then it is ready for raw sashimi? Is this correct?Or any other step needed, i don't want to get sick.

Thanks all!

Update:

Least possible air* in the ziplock. bag.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Sashimi slices, *Recommended fish are Tuna, Salmon, Yellowtail, Kingfish, Snapper, Whiting, etc, serving Freshly Cooked Rice, Toasted Nori *tear into small pieces, Yakumi (condiments) of your choice, *e.g. Shiso, Wasabi, Spring Onion, Toasted Sesame Seeds, etc, <Marinade>

Source(s): Duckduckgo
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Alpha
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, no, and NO. The process is not called curing, but flash freezing. This is different from the term "flash freezing" used for home cooking.

Sushi grade fish are flash frozen in such a way that the temperature is lowered to below freezing within minutes. The term only applies to sushi in Japan because like all things outside such as the US, it means nothing other than a marketing ploy to sell more fish at a higher price.

Flash freezing kills the parasites in fish, but more important it kills the cyst (eggs) they lay in the host. It's these cyst that you have to worry about because they can survive long periods of freezing or remain dormant until things warms up and then they hatch - inside you. It's not the long period of freezing that kills them but the sudden drop in temperature from ambient temp to below freezing within minutes that kills them. You cannot do that with a conventional freezer.

• 6 months ago

Most people when they're making sushi take the shortcut immersing it in the boiling water for a minute or so or heavily salted water or lime or lemon juice for a few hours. Me I just buy lox smoked salmon cured Ready-to-Eat goes really good on sashimi or sushi

• 6 months ago

You do NOT cure Salmon or any other fish for Sashimi. It is raw fish, usually as fresh as possible, that is sliced into very thin strips.

Sushi is made using rice that is cured by mixing it with MIRON (cooking rice wine derived from Saki) plus Saki before being rolled into balls and wrapped/topped with raw fish, prawns (Shrimp to Americans).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.