I have been purchasing a vehicle through a local here in southern california, and I have paid nearly $5000 on it and the sales price is $8k?

I have an arrangement with the seller and this is a private sale, not through a dealership in california. I have an arrangement to pay $700 a month in an effort to pay it off quicker. The seller clearly depends on this to pay every little bill and harrasses me when I am only a few days late on my payments which I also pay a late fee on. He never transferred the title in to my name and is asking me to pay the monthly balance as well as the registration for the year, otherwise he is forcing me to the return the car with $0 refund. Can he do this? he has a history of selling cars for payments and taking them back, but I need to know what I should do legally otherwise I am out a lot of money and a vehicle.

10 Answers

  • 5 months ago


  • 5 months ago

    How did you get insurance when the car is not in your name?

  • Scott
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

    It sounds like you have gotten yourself into a bad financial deal. All you can do is pay as agreed or forfeit the car and all the money you've paid.

  • 5 months ago

    Making dumb deals never works out in your favor.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    What did you get IN WRITING regarding this ''arrangement'' dumbass?

  • Never
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    You should have found a real lender but since you did not, you have to put up with it. Everywhere would charge late fees though.

    Just hurry up & pay it off and don't be late.

    You would have to pay for registration had you bought it with a bank lien too so that is not unreasonable on his part. Although maybe you can ask for him to give you the title and put himself down as lienholder that would protect him. (But he probably does not know that or he would have done it)

  • 5 months ago

    You don't get the title of the car until you have made all your payments.

    This is standard with any car loan.

    You are supposed to register the car/pay registration and provide your own insurance while you are paying on the car. His name should be the lienholder on the registration.

    - Tell the person you are paying that you want to handle it properly. If you have AAA, they will help you get it in place.

  • Ron
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    I have to say, you and everyone else that has paid this guy are complete morons

  • 5 months ago

    continue making the payments but at the same time contact a lawyer and tell him what's going on and place a lien against the vehicle with the driver motor vehicle services you have an interest in that vehicle make sure that that interest is recorded. There are plenty of people that pull this a scam and then they grabbed your car and disappear and you never see them again.

    • Jenifer W5 months agoReport

      I do know that he has attempted to sell this car previously and took it back and tried to resell it several times to several different people on payment terms as well, is that legal?

  • 5 months ago

    Nothing you can do can compel the seller to sign over the title. I assume you don't have a bill of sale or receipts, so small claims court is not an option to recover any money if the go back on a contract on an agreement. Bottom line is the seller owns the vehicle as the title is in their name. The money you spent is for use of the vehicle over the last seven months. That money is gone. You had better hope they sign over the title when you've paid all the money.

    Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.