I have been purchasing a vehicle through a local here in southern california, and I have paid nearly $5000 on it and the sales price is $8k?

I have an arrangement with the seller and this is a private sale, not through a dealership in california. I have an arrangement to pay $700 a month in an effort to pay it off quicker. The seller clearly depends on this to pay every little bill and harrasses me when I am only a few days late on my payments which I... show more I have an arrangement with the seller and this is a private sale, not through a dealership in california. I have an arrangement to pay $700 a month in an effort to pay it off quicker. The seller clearly depends on this to pay every little bill and harrasses me when I am only a few days late on my payments which I also pay a late fee on. He never transferred the title in to my name and is asking me to pay the monthly balance as well as the registration for the year, otherwise he is forcing me to the return the car with $0 refund. Can he do this? he has a history of selling cars for payments and taking them back, but I need to know what I should do legally otherwise I am out a lot of money and a vehicle.