Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 6 months ago

Car almost hit me when I turned right on a green light????

I’m just confused as to what happened. My light was green, so I turned my signal on, was in the right lane and everything and turned right onto the street. I’m not sure whether there was a car turning left and they just were stupid and didn’t yield? The cars to the left of me (that would normally be going straight if the light were red) were all stopped, and from where I was turning, there was a street in front of me (so you can either turn left, go straight or go right at the light). And again, my light was green which is why I made my right turn into the far left lane of the street I turned onto (there were two lanes on the street) and suddenly out of nowhere this car is right behind me blaring it’s horn. I don’t even know how I WOULD have cut someone off given it’s impossible since I was not turning right on red. The light was also not yellow, it was green the entire time I turned, and there was no one behind me when I turned but it would have mattered anyway because I didn’t slam my breaks in the middle of the turn or anything like that. So does anyone know what that other car was doing because I’m honestly just really confused and a little scared because they almost hit the back of my car & I’m still trying to figure out what happened

Favorite Answer

Technically (often ignored by drivers)

whenever you turn into a multi-lane street (by which I mean: more than one lane in each direction)

you are supposed to turn into the nearest lane.

So

for example

if you are making a right turn

you are supposed to turn into the rightmost lane of the target street.

Similarly

if you are making a left turn

you are suppose to turn into the leftmost lane of the target street.

This enables traffic turning from the other direction to turn into the street at the same time as you

and so this very common traffic rule - though often ignored - has the obvious benefit of improving the flow of traffic.

It's very likely your state driving instruction manual

which you can probably find online

informs you of this traffic law.

• M.

👍 Absolutely correct!

Many people, unfortunately, are not safe/lawful drivers.

• Kaz

You should have turned into the right hand lane, and then carefully moved to the left lane (if that's where you needed to be). Sounds like just an angry person, acting the fool (road rage). Lets face it, there are a lot of idiots out there. Don't waste too much time trying to figure it out.

When someone is tailgating me (during the day), and gets too close to my car, I turn on my headlights, which makes it appear I'm braking because the taillights light up too, and people usually back off. (Not always, like I said, there's a lot of crazies out there).

• Ian K

You turned into the wrong lane, cutting off the other driver.

Basic rule of the road. You made an illegal turn.

Source(s): Simple as that.

You probably turned in front of a left-turning vehicle. When turning onto a two-lane road you should turn into the right lane and use your indicator to safely move to the left lane. That is probably what happened.

Sounds like you turned into the wrong lane. You made a right turn into the far left lane. You're supposed to turn into the near, right lane.