Why do many progressives think they're entitled to dictate to minorities how they should think?

I'm a fairly moderate person, I'm also a minority. But, I'm very appalled at how many on the American far-left assume that all minorities in the United States share the same political beliefs. For example, recently at this year's Netroots Nations conference, Massachusetts Democratic Congresswoman... show more I'm a fairly moderate person, I'm also a minority. But, I'm very appalled at how many on the American far-left assume that all minorities in the United States share the same political beliefs.

For example, recently at this year's Netroots Nations conference, Massachusetts Democratic Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley proclaimed, "We don't want any Black or Brown people who don't want to be a Black or Brown voice; any LGBT people who don't want to be an LGBT voice; any Muslims who don't want to be a Muslim voice." I found that to be very astounding, since when do your race, sexual orientation, or religion necessarily determine your political ideology?

It would seem that real "progress" is allowing people to use their common sense to develop informed opinions, irrespective of their immutable (or mutable) characteristics. Correct?
Update: Gilgamesh King of Heroes, nice maturity and tolerance, there.
2 answers 2