Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 7 months ago

Why do people like living in cities?

I lived in a city for the first 25 years of my life and I hated it. I moved to a small town in the middle of nowhere. It's nice and quiet all the time and there are barely any people around.

I am retired and country life is too far from everything and no services. My boyfriend lives 27 miles from a small town but when he can't drive any longer will not be able to get groceries. My suburb has assess buses, Uber, lift and taxis also my family has 3 households within 5 miles so they can bring me groceries and our stores deliver. It is a short trip to everything I might need like medical. My yard is much smaller so no acres to mow and my yard doesn't get neighbor chickens dropping in to visit everyday like his does.

Live where you like. But rural and within 10 miles of a town of 50,000 gives you all you need. Rush hour is 15 minutes. I am 1 hour from opera, symphony and major sports; 10 minutes from Lowes, Target and Walmart and seconds away from E-commerce. I'm a country bumpkin with 19 years of schooling.

I like the convenience. Still get all of the comforts of the suburbs when we want them (my target is 500 yards away) but also the cool stuff only a city can offer, like obscure ethnic foods, weird stores, arts, parks, museums, etc.

How near is your nearest health food store, and other stores where you need to shop? I looked into that once too. I don't like having to drive 10 or 15 miles to where I have to shop. I'd hate to have to drive 30 miles on a regular basis, for regular shopping.

• Mark

Because there are things to do, that aren't available in the country. Not to mention, if EVERYONE lived in the country, it wouldn't be country anymore, would it?

Source(s): Logic

I wouldn't want to be in a small town & have everyone knowing my business. I like having lots of stores & restaurants around me.

Some people like jobs, restaurants, and things to do.

• There's more opportunities for jobs in a larger city, some people like having clubs and other amenities to go to that usually smaller towns don't have. Or they have them on a smaller / quieter scale. Also when you're younger it's nice to get out there socialize and meet people. It's easier to do that in a city. Also it's more expensive to live in a city. You can buy a property then sell it for way more then you bought it for.

I used to live in a big city. the noise and traffic got to me after a while. I now live in a larger town but on a quiet street. My house backs onto a park which you also don't often get in cities.

Drugs and crime can happen any where, but they seam to occur less in small towns.

• Lolly

Bored easily. Country life would drive me to distraction.

Contrary to popular belief, we have trees, flowers, birds, farmer's markets and more.

I prefer the city because it’s more convenient. If I need to go to the grocery store, there’s usually one within 10 miles. Same for stores like Target or Walmart. Same for restaurants or fast food. Same for drug stores.

Also, if I were to get murdered, odds are good they’ll find who did it. In an isolated area, it’ll be hard since there’s not a whole lot of people around to notice anything strange.