Tenant locked me out of duplex, is this legal?

I live on the thirf floor, he lives on the second floor on the right side of the duplex apartment. Me and him argue all the time, today i was going to the store, we had a screamfest before i left he LOCKED ME OUT and told me if i wanted to come back in my apartment i'd have to use the left side and he called me a scumbag. He is not the landlord is this legal ?

• zipper

No it is not legal even for the Landlord to do with out notice; a tenant has no such rights. You need to get the police involved if the Landlord does not correct this problem for you.

• Jeff T

If he's not the landlord, he has no right to lock you out of your apartment. But where were your keys?

Are you talking about your roommate? I don't understand, do you need to pass through his unit to access your own?

He has a key to a door that you do not have a key to. But you could use another door? It's totally legal for him to deny you access via the door that you don't have a key to.

So you're not locked out. You just don't want to use the other door. Get over yourself.

Why don't you have a key, yet he has one to that side of the building? There's nothing illegal about it but you should ask the ll for a key. That should solve the problem. Well, at least one of your problems.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience and with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

"he LOCKED ME OUT and told me if i wanted to come back in my apartment i'd have to use the left side"

It sounds like there's multiple access points to this residence, which might explain people's confusion. If the issue is that you can't use the front door on your side of the duplex, that's something you need to sort out with your landlord to gain access. If you're a leaseholder, that should be pretty simple. Same if you were to lock yourself out.

Assuming this guy lives on one side of the duplex and you live on the other, he has every right to lock you out of his residence. He's also not legally required to provide you access to your side of the duplex if there's a second entrance. Again, that's an issue you should take up with your landlord and/or a locksmith.

You are not clear if you do indeed have access to your unit through the left or not. Your question seems to indicate that you do. "told me if i wanted to come back in my apartment i'd have to use the left side" If you can get to your unit then you are not locked out.

The neighbor has no right to lock a common area door. You should have keys to the exterior common area door the same as the neighbor does. You need to take the key issue up with your landlord.

Another tenant in the same building locking you out is not legal or illegal. Landlord tenant laws are between the landlord & the tenant not tenant to tenant. Locking you out should be a violation of the lease however. The violation is again something you need to address with your landlord.

• Flower

What did the landlord have to say about this incident?

if you have access to the left side, whats the problem, you are not locked out.

how could he lock you out? if you are supposed to have access to that door and it is a common door, you would have a key and there would be no way for another tenant to lock you out

you BABBLED....YOU MISS THE POINT THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE ANY KEY NEEDED TO OPEN ANY DOOR TO GET TO YOUR ROOM..including the front duplex doors if that is your access.

• Casey Y

How do you not have a key to the building?