When you have just had a baby why do people look down on you if you dont want to go back to work until your baby is a toddler?

It is my personal decision.. well before I got pregnant I saved money so that I could sit at home with my baby.. when people ask me when I'm going back to work and I say I'm not just yet they act all jealous. I earnt my money for this life what can I say politely. A friend of mine keeps saying what if your work dont take you back .. I'm not planning on going back.

People will look down on you whatever you choose to do about anything, especially around matters regarding children. So you may as well do what you think is best for you.

Don't worry if you went back to work other people would look down on you for not caring for your baby while those people are calling you lazy for not doing it. It's just that everyone hates women and sexism and misogyny are the most accepted form of bigotry.

It's SO good to be home with your baby. If you love babies and little children it could be the best time of your life.

Just say you believe in spending time with your baby for his best development and daycare is really expensive anyway. If they're jealous they're just creeps. Your baby will be so much happier to be with you.

Also plenty of bad stuff happened to me in my life so I didn't expect people to be jealous of me when something good happened but some people always were.

• Lili

Most people don't. It's quite common for mothers to stay home while their children are still very young. In my area, where there are many well-educated professional women, I see mothers with their children during the day all the time. I see some fathers, too.

You can't please everyone. There will always be someone who questions your decisions, but that's unimportant. And as I said, most people don't have a problem with staying home while your child is very young.

No matter what you do in life, someone will object.

As a confident adult, you make decisions confidently for your family, and don't focus on what other people think about those decisions.

Thats exactly what we did. We started an automatic savings for this even before we conceived! We also got rid of cable, gym memberships, drive 10 year old paid off sedans, bought a very small house we can afford w a low mortgage, our vacations have been the beach and camping. Its a sacrifice that I wouldn't change for the world to be w my son. Ive had comments asking how i could stay home, how we afford it, when my husband is only a teacher w teacher salary but these same people are the ones w 1000 dollar phones, new SUVs, 2000 sq foot homes for 3 people, etc. its allll choices.

Its the perfect life. Its harder than a job outside the home but more worth it.My boy is 2 and its flown by. I am enjoying our lazy mornings snugging and playing, picnics in the yard, and day long park trips. Its jealousy. My 2nd child will also get to experience this.

They are jealous - do you think they enjoy sleepless nights, screaming kids and then they have to get ready for work - I am from the older generation and I gave up work when I was pregnant and didn't return until 7 years later and then it was during school hours and when my daughter grew up and had kids she didn't work until they were a few years old and then I helped watch them as I still work part time.

That's called "conversation". Hang out on a yacht instead of at a Taco Bell, and the topics will be of a more appropriate and relatable nature.

Source(s): Glad I could help.
  • Juana

That's exactly all it is, jealousy. Enjoy your baby, they are the most precious that life gives us humans. I only took off 4 months for my baby and wish I could have stayed much longer!!!