Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 5 months ago

Teenagers who have sex with the teacher: are they victims? Or "lucky" Do the genders matter?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Marla
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

This is an interesting topic, actually. There is biologic maturity, which is not a focal moment, but actually a span of time, and it varies from person to person. And then, there is legal maturity, which is defined by the social, legal convention, and is at an exact age in time. And finally, there is the issue of a teacher's responsibility as a teacher and adult.

We all can understand that being 17 years and 354 days old does not necessarily make you a baby, and that being 18 years and 1 minute old does not necessarily make you an adult. But that is what the law says. So, biologically, many underage teens are perfectly able to understand sexuality and to responsibly engage in sex. Not too long ago, a minor could storm a beach, rifle in hand, and die for his country. No one had a problem with that. But it would be a problem for him to choose to have sex with someone say, 19? And yet, according to the law, the 19 year old would be "raping" the minor. I personally think that in a lot of cases of underage males engaging in sex with their teacher, they are perfectly OK with it and may have been the party that looked for the relationship. I personally don't think that most teen boys close to age 18 are being done some irreparable damage in many of these cases. Their parents may think so and be outraged (and that is usually theatrics so that the subsequent civil lawsuit against the school district gives them plenty of money. They know their kid is sleeping around with everyone, but sleeping with the teacher lands them a payday)

That said, then comes the responsibility of the teacher. Every teacher knows very well that there are boundaries that should never be crossed and one of them is getting romantically or sexually involved with a teacher. If they do, they should be punished.

So, what should be done? One, putting a person in prison for years for this is a waste of taxpayer's money. Ban them from contact with children and place them in a supervised setting where they can work, be productive, and of course, pay for any expenses their victim incurs as a result. Two, no "punitive" damages to school district. Dad getting a Corvette and mom getting a boob job should not be financed by cash-strapped school districts. Have the teacher involved work to pay for whatever treatment the victim needs.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Age matters more than gender. We've all known college students who spend a semester boning the prof only to cry for months when he wouldn't leave his wife for her. But that's not a life-altering destruction of trust in authority figures that happens when a teacher (of either gender) victimizes a child. I know two people who were molested by teachers (one of each gender) and they're both addicts who can't move past it no matter how much therapy and rehab they do. This is a crime and it does have severe consequences.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I would not say they're victims if they

know what they're doing which most do

not but I'd say teachers who do this are

scum!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

That's absurd and a sign of degeneracy. There shouldn't be any sexual relationship between teacher and students. If a teacher tries to have sex with their students, it's a very very bad thing. If a student tries to have sex with teacher, that's bad too.

Teachers exist to make us smart and learn new things. Students must obey the teachings by their teachers and focus on it. Any friendship/sexual relationship between the two ruins the learning habit of the teen and spoils his/her academic health.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

If they were not the aggressor, and especially if they were in any way coerced, they are pretty clearly victims, whether they are male or female. Children do not have fully developed brains, and thus don't necessarily have the best judgement about what is good for them in terms of sex and whatnot.

If they are younger than, say, 14 or 15, then they are the victims unless they literally overpowered their teacher or something. Because, at that age, even if they are the ones "asking for it", they probably don't really understand enough about sex to get its consequences and so forth, so any right-minded adult should say "no" to them.

For an older teen (of either gender) who was the one initiating possible sex, that's... at least, a lot trickier. I don't want to say that the teen is always the victim, if only because that raises the absurd prospect of a victim of violent rape being considered the statutory rapist of her underaged attacker. And the degree of age difference makes a difference here, too. A 17-year-old student with a 22-year-old teacher is a *lot* different from a 15-year-old student with a 40-year-old teacher.

Ideally, no teacher would have sex with an underage student, though I'd say it's reasonable after the individual stops being both underaged and their student (eg if they hook up only after the kid graduates). Even then, it's... at least a *little* iffy. But I can... understand the temptation, with adult-looking and mostly adult-acting older teens of the appropriate gender. Our age of majority is somewhat arbitrary, and our hormones ... evolved a lot earlier than our legal codes.

Gender only matters indirectly, because for a lot of reasons males are more likely to be the ones initiating sexual contact of some kind. I'd feel the same about a boy being pressured or coerced into sex with a teacher as I would about a girl of equivalent age being thus pressured.

• 5 months ago

They are victims regardless of genders. By law, minors cannot consent to sex with an adult. There is an inherent power imbalance. We sometimes hear about how such relationships mess with the minds of young women, but we don't as often hear about how it impacts young men. Clinically, it does!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

In the eyes of the law, they're victims because you have an adult teacher having sex with an underage child. However, there are variables that will change on a case by case basis and will influence the perceived severity of the event.

For example. it's very likely to be perceived differently if a 24 year old teacher has sex with a 17 year old student than a 50 year old teacher having sex with a 13 year old student. You also have the issue of coercion and whether or not any violence or threats were used. Did the teacher ply the student with illicit substances or alcohol? Who initiated the encounters initially? If it was the student who initiated it, then can they truly be assigned the status of victim? At the same time, an adult in authority should be able to exercise enough self-control not to break the law. What I'm saying is, there are gray areas.

However, I don't think it matters about gender - it's more the specifics of the case that are important. Having said that, there are some people who will consider a female teen a victim and a male teen "lucky" when all variables are equal. I think that comes from the myth that teen boys are all sex-crazed and prepared to have sex anytime with anyone whilst teen girls are innocent flowers who are easily taken advantage of. Like I said, I don't agree with that and I think that gender shouldn't be considered as a factor when it comes to judging these cases.

• 5 months ago

They should be labeled as victims, but not all see it that way.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

That would depend on the situation.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They are victims. They are most often minors, and a teacher is in a position of authority over them. Regardless of if the child willingly did it, the adult should have known better.

• Kowabunga
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

Dodge -These kids aren't stupid. The teachers aren't using their authority to persuade. Those kids just want to get laid and they fall into sex like everybody does

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.