Anonymous

My friend is an illegal immigrant?

I just found out that my best friend is an illegal immigrant. He is 21 turning 22 in a few months. He and his family came to the US 5 years ago from Asia and he was 16 at that time. Their contract was 5 years and if they're not able to get a green card within 5 years they all need to fly back to their country and they were not able to do that so they had to leave the country and his family already flew back to Asia. He's also supposed to leave the US before he turn 21 because that's the law but he decided to stay because he's still looking for a chance to be a green card holder and eventually an American citizen. So what happened was the company where his dad used to work promised that they're going to help them fix their papers so they can get a green card. 4 years later, that company was bought by another company so the new administration took over and my dad's boss who was helping fix their documents was fired. So he tried to approach their situation to his new boss but he refused to help. I don't know what to do to help him. We played varsity basketball in high school. He's such an amazing and very hardworking guy. He currently leaves with his aunt. He can't apply for a job but he mows lawn, wash cars, and do yard stuff for his neighbors just to earn money. I don't want to make this political but I supported Trump on his immigration plan but turning my best friend in is not an option for me.

My parents are big time Trump supporters and I won't let them find out about this because I'm 100% sure that they're going to turn him in once they found out he's an illegal immigrant. I feel really bad for him because we're like brothers and he always come over to my house and I come over to his house and we play video games. This is hard for me but this is very much harder for him.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I voted for Trump, but I more so voted for the Republican party, whoever was the Republican nominee is who I was voting for. Now as far Donald Trump and some of his stances, I don't disagree with deporting illegal aliens, especially criminal ones.

Deportation didn't start with Trump, Obama's admin did it too, you just don't hear about it as much from Democrats when they're in power because they're more interested in the political game rather than enforcing the laws of the land. Just because illegals got through and were allowed to slide for a long time doesn't mean it was ok or that it ever should have been. President Trump is unique in the extra emphasis he's put on the issue.

But anybody that claims he's racist for enforcing the law of the land need to look in the mirror and check themselves. Reasonable people don't let complete random strangers walk into their home and take up residence rent free, eat their food, and use all their resources. So why in the world would the same logic not apply to the country as a whole ?

And as far as friends and dealing with other people that are illegal, I dont seek to turn them in or do any harm to them. Hispanics that were illegal did work in my yard under the direction of a older black gentleman. I was less interested in their legal status and more interested in getting the work done; I even worked with them for a short time and got paid by the same older black gentleman.

If they do good work and/or are good friends I feel no need to harass them about their immigration status.

Source(s): Experience
    1 year ago

First, you never should have brought politics into this. It doesn't have anything to do with your situation, and the result is predictable.

Also, there's no question in here, which sometimes matters. If you're wondering what you can do, the answer is nothing, other than suggest he talk to an immigration attorney. There's no risk in this, because as soon as he hands that attorney one dollar, he's retained that attorney's services, and then client confidentiality kicks in.

• Foofa
    1 year ago

Your friend entered the US "with inspection" (on a visa), therefore (using the DHS statutory terms) he's "out of status" rather than an "illegal alien". This puts him in a different camp from someone who never had any immigration status. He could "adjust status" without leaving the US should he marry and receive the sponsorship of a US citizen spouse. But, yes, at present he's not in the country legally and unless you're willing to marry him there's really not much you can do. Also, just because you support immigration laws existing doesn't mean you can't also sympathize with your friend's situation. He was a child when his parents decided to leave him stranded in the States, which kind of puts him in a different category from adults who made their own decision to break the law.

• Alan H
    1 year ago

That kind of human tragedy is precisely what Trump’s policies were designed for.

Your friend is typical of 1000s of decent people who are being persecuted

Whatever happened to ‘Bring me your poor, your huddled masses...’?

• Jerry
    1 year ago

Supporting tRump on almost anything means you didn't really listen to what he's saying...