Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

Do you think it's rude for someone to visit you & to keep saying they hate the town you live in?

Someone visited me who lives more in the country. I live in a nice single family residence neighborhood, but there is more traffic here. I felt really uncomfortable when she kept saying she wouldn't want to live in my town & just hated where I live.

Favorite Answer

Given you did not like or appreciate the comments made about your town, be mindful about inviting this person into your home again. There is no obligation to do so.

• GEEGEE

I had sort of the opposite happen a long time ago. A coworker came to visit me one weekend. She was originally from Austria and was living in Manhattan. I lived maybe 25 miles east on Long Island. She took the train to the town where I lived and exclaimed at various times "I really like it here!" She had never been to LI before and obviously didn't expect to like it. It was annoying to hear the surprise in her voice, "I like it here!"

• Daisy

Well, you don't have to apologize for where you live. You can say, "Well, I like it." She will return to her home and that will it. She probably should keep the negative comments to herself.

• `

Why are you inviting this person to your home? Make some excuse the next time she wants to visit.

Yes, it's rude, but don't let it worry you. If she says it once too often, say pleasantly and with a neutral expression, 'Then it's just as well you don't have to live here, isn't it'.

yes and i wouldve told her noone said she had to live there

I said that of the town of wales when I visited England. Those ‘people’ were not happy! They Moaned all the time, couldn’t understand them and it was cold and depressing!!

• anonymous5 months agoReport

What didn't you like about the town of Wales. Even if you didn't like it, why would you say that to the people who live there?

• Cara

Yes, it's a bit churlish, but I'm used to it because I live in a big city and my country friends and relations all shudder; but they quite like the amenities of it nonetheless. Don't let your friend's feelings bother you - you live where you want to, and so does she. We don't all have to be the same.

• NONAME

you only hate her saying that because you have the same thoughts...I on the other hand love small towns like this..being able to ride my bike...having Zero traffic...getting those extra few hours doing what i like to do and not waiting on the highway

• anonymous5 months agoReport

You think you know how I feel & that I have the same thoughts. I don't. Where this woman lives gets extremely hot, and I live nearby the beach. There can sometimes even still be traffic where she lives. Luckily I don't have to be in traffic rarely because I don't work. It's rude to say what she said

It’s unnecessary, but maybe she’s just a rube. Or rubish. Or maybe just young. And a little thoughtless. You may have to make some allowances.