What would take so long for my central air to turn on?

The temperature is showing 80 inside. I first turned it down to 79 & it turned on. I was doing something in the kitchen making noise so I don't know when it turned off. I then noticed it wasn't on & the temperature was saying 80 again inside. I turned it down to 79 & it didn't turn on. Turned it down to 78 & it still didn't turn on. Turned it down to 77 & is still didn't. I left it on 77 & FINALLY after about five minutes it turned on. Why did I have to go through all this. Does this mean something is wrong with the AC?

• NONAME
    Favorite Answer

about 5 minutes?...lol...actually...its Exactly 5 minutes When the ac turns off, it will not come on for 5 minutes...this is a safety feature that prevents the compressor turning on while the freon is being drained back to it. ..actually i forgot the exact reason but this is close enough

• y

so the pressures on both sides equalize, saves the compressor.

You might need a new thermostat.

Mechanical thermostats are not exact.