Interior garage doors that are metal is there a way to lock them? Can you get a deadbolt on a fire door?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

yes, this can be done. replacing the present door handle is likely the easiest way

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

You can have a deadbolt on a fire door. All that you need to be sure is that it is operated by a thumb turn (or panic bar) on the escape side so that you can't get trapped.

In metal doors locks are usually fitted during manufacture. You may be better with a surface mounted lock, but if you explain what you want to a locksmith he should be able to oblige.

• 6 months ago

If it's a statutory fire door you cannot lock it. However, I suspect this is just a door between garage and house which happens to have a fire retardant rating (as if should), because garages can be a fire risk considering the fuel, oil, grease etc which can be in there. Yes, you can fit a lock or bolt, it will just require a little more effort to install, i.e. using bolts or self-taooers instead of the usual wood screws. Make sure it can be easily opened from the house side. Try asking a local handyman (ask your neighbors for recommendations).

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You can, in fact, lock a fire door -- just not locked against the direction of egress. Adding a dead bolt to a fire door and its jamb would generally void its UL fire rating, if that's a concern.

• 6 months ago

Interior fire doors must remain operable, you will need to contact the local fire martial if you want to block or eliminate one. You can't ask a double question, is it a outside garage door or an interior sliding or gravity drop fire door on a counterweight fuse that melts during a fire? ALL interior fire doors are subject to building occupancy inspection and can NOT be modified without the fire martial approval to the building inspector. In most cases an interior fire door removal will require the owner to add a second fire escape (like a door to the outside with stairwell if need be) route to the space if it's used in any sort of occupancy mode.

The ******* that neg thumb this are the same ones that disrespect the occupancy fire codes LOL!

Then these same idiotic people claim the victimology role when they want to file a lawsuit for damages.

The landlords lawyer will win and you will be found guilty of being an idiot trying to block off a fire door.

I did this commercial fire alarm and associated construction issue deal for many years, and I know what you are asking. Those old brick warehouse buildings converted into office use space must have the fire slider doors operational or the fire martial will have the landlord fix it on the yearly fire sprinkler inspection report. Think I'm wrong? The laugh will be on you when the violation fine is given to your landlord.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

A METAL door and a FIRE door have exactly ONE thing in common. Both are doors.

If a fire door is required in that location, a dead bolt is illegal.

If this is in your home, a dead bolt can be installed as easily as in a wood door. Drilling a hole may take slightly longer, but everything else is exactly the same.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not all fire doors are required to operate as part of an egress. It would not be illegal to install a dead bolt on any door that is not a part of a required exit path.

• 6 months ago

Yes. You can buy locks for garages at a pretty low price at Home Depot. And yes, you should be able to get the deadbolt on.

• In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you live in a single family dwelling then the metal door between the garage and the kitchen is not a "fire door" although it might have a 20 minute fire rating. If your door is not bored for a passage lock and a deadbolt, you can buy a kit from the chain hardware store with the template and hole saws. If it is a multifamily dwelling you will need panic hardware on the exit path in the direction of travel and no deadbolt is allowed.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

If it has a 20-minute fire rating then it is, by definition, a "fire door". Not all exit doors in a multifamily dwelling require "panic hardware". In fact, unless the occupancy load is more than 50, you probably don't need it. It is not always illegal to have a deadbolt on a fire door.

• 6 months ago

But does it cost more to have a deadbolt put on a metal door? Do you have any recommendations on what company I should use to do this? I never done it before?

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Please add details to your original question by editing and updating your original question.

• 6 months ago

Simply pin a sign on the door that says "Please don't open this door and burgle my house. Thanks". That should keep 'em out.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Many people I know don't lock their doors unless they're leaving for more than a few days.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

If it's not a business or public place, that's totally up to you. Yes. You can put on deadbolt on that door. But egress doors must be readily openable from inside of the dwelling without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.