Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 6 months ago

Help Honda dealership sold me a car with a bad transmission?

Hello i bought my car two months ago a used car. It is a certified used car. It had 76k miles when i bought it and now it has 77k i only drove it a bit. I took it into the dealership because it kept stalling and eating my fuel. Today they told me that it has a bad transmission and said they are waiting to hear back from the warranty company if they are going to accept or deny my warranty. They told me that i have until 111k miles on my car which is about 30k miles that the car is under warranty for after that its over. Well i also signed up for this thing called mpp motor protection plan where they pay for anything that happens to my car and instead of the dealership trying to fix it they are trying to use my mpp warranty to pay for it. The mpp might even deny my claim and i am currently waiting to see. When i bought the car i recorded the whole transaction and the guy said we do not sell faulty cars and we will give u a warranty to put ur mind at ease. What can i do now if they both deny my claim. A new transmission is over 3k i cant afford that and i financed the car with my bank for 13k. Please help. What can i do can i sue them? Thank you

Per Honda: Honda Certified Pre-Owned cars must be 6 years old or newer and the engine must have less than 80,000 miles. 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain warranty from the vehicle's original in-service date.

Transmission is part of the power train.

As you did not state the year of the car, I have to guess it is about 7 years old.(or borderline) So basically OUTSIDE of the warranty period as it is "7 years or 100,000 miles(whichever comes first). Well, the age came first(that is my guess because you refused to give the age of vehicle) so HONDA does not have to do anything.(not legally)

. The dealership that sells used cars does not offer any guarantee. They can certify it was a used car.(they can guarantee the fact it was used)

[you got to pay attention what they are telling you]. They guaranteed it was not brand new, never used...for it was used.

You drove it for a bit? A 1000miles is quite a bit. You would be able to tell the transmission was bad within 1 mile. You bought a used car and you got what you got for the money you paid.

If you paid less than new cost, (which you did) you got less than new car.

How is that a surprize to you?

If the car is still under the 7 year maximum, the Honda Corp might can help you because it is still under warranty. If it is older, say 2011, then YOUR problem. Honda will look the other way...though they still "MIGHT" help you. It depends if they are feeling generous.

"They told me that i have until 111k miles on my car" Who is they.? Honda warranty is for 100K...no more than that and no one else can offer any more than that. They are Lying.

. If they can use the mpp warranty to cover the cost - why do you care how they do it, just so long as it does not cost you extra? See where it goes and what happens.

. Too often people want to sue for frivolous things when if you let them do the paperwork juggle, they will get you rolling. Get legal on them, and they will be less apt to "try to help you out of the goodness of their heart"

You want to battle? They can battle hard and you will lose. They can stick to the letter of the warranty(7yrs or 100K) and no further consideration is given. Not the outcome you wanted but that will be the result.

. You don't get a new transmission. They try to fix the transmission(because it is new for that car and fixing it sometimes is way faster than doing other to it...and it is just as good as new. That is all you want, is a car that works properly.

• Never

You have to hope Honda will cover it as the dealer probably will not.

Also, no evidence they sold it with a bad transmission. Afterall, you would not have bought it if it had a bad transmission.

Friend what you do is you find a lawyer they generally give free consultations. And you take your contract and videos and whatever you recorded to the lawyer and tell them that they are trying not to pay for the new transmission.

In all likelihood the lawyer we'll get it into court very quickly and you will get the money for a rental vehicle while your car was being fixed or you can get a full refund on what you have paid in. Based upon Miss representation at the time of sales. Don't sit here and guess that it contact a lawyer that's what they're there for

Honda has many problems with their CVT transmissions. Honda give it's customer a customer good will warranty as long as they serviced the transmission at 60.000 miles. If they sold it to you as certified tell the service manager you want to speak with the district representative.for Honda.since they won't back the common bad transmission after certifying the vehicle. Honda will cover a rebuilt transmission if you make enough noise.

Tell them you'll go to the Better Business Bureau and complain and call Honda North America.

They'll cave and pay for it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • TheReal

The better Business Business Bureau is meaningless. The have no power to compel the dealer to do anything, and nobody cares what BBB rating a company has anymore.

Per Honda: Honda Certified Pre-Owned cars must be 6 years old or newer and the engine must have less than 80,000 miles. Each vehicle includes: 182-point mechanical and appearance inspection. 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain warranty from the vehicle's original in-service date.

In other words, if this was an automatic transmission, and they cannot prove misuse and abuse, it WILL be covered. If it was a manual transmission, consumable/wear and tear items (clutch, pressure plate, etc) would not be covered under any warranty.

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.

A warranties last until you drive off the forecourt.

In this case, if you bought from a reputable dealer they or the maker's warranty should cover the transmission.

Bottom line, all used cars are sold 'as is'

MMP sound a typical extended warranty company, whatever the problem they will find something in their T&Cs which will allow them to deny your claim.

Ok, what does the policy say that you bought? Is the policy good under the milage you have? Was the car quoted as being certified under such and such? These tools will help you in getting a transmission and things back on track