Is my dog smart enough to be trying to avoid discipline?

When my dog does something that worries me or if she does something wrong, I'll bring her to the side and say "bad". Every dog seems to know this word for some reason and I know she understands, because when I tell her she's good she'll jump in the air or run in circles when she's... show more When my dog does something that worries me or if she does something wrong, I'll bring her to the side and say "bad". Every dog seems to know this word for some reason and I know she understands, because when I tell her she's good she'll jump in the air or run in circles when she's happy.

But when I try to tell her she's bad, she smiles at me, wags her tail and licks my hand. Is she trying to charm people not to punish her, or is she just a friendly dog who doesn't understand what she did was wrong?
Update: She always reacts to other emotions such as when someone is upset/crying, if they're happy, etc. But to me it feels like she's actually trying to get out of a scolding. Could this actually be a thing with some dogs?
Update 2: Ha yup they definitely are smart. Also, I hope my dog isn't afraid as I would never hurt her, but any training tips on how to correct my way of disciplining will be appreciated or any tips on how to get her to see that I will not use physical force on her.