Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Is my dog smart enough to be trying to avoid discipline?

When my dog does something that worries me or if she does something wrong, I'll bring her to the side and say "bad". Every dog seems to know this word for some reason and I know she understands, because when I tell her she's good she'll jump in the air or run in circles when she's happy.

But when I try to tell her she's bad, she smiles at me, wags her tail and licks my hand. Is she trying to charm people not to punish her, or is she just a friendly dog who doesn't understand what she did was wrong?

She always reacts to other emotions such as when someone is upset/crying, if they're happy, etc. But to me it feels like she's actually trying to get out of a scolding. Could this actually be a thing with some dogs?

Ha yup they definitely are smart. Also, I hope my dog isn't afraid as I would never hurt her, but any training tips on how to correct my way of disciplining will be appreciated or any tips on how to get her to see that I will not use physical force on her.

• J M

Dogs do not try to charm or manipulate people.

Try saying the word 'bad' in a happy 'good' voice and vice versa. I think that should show you that she only hears the tone of your voice. There's also the very real involvement of your body language.

As NT says (sorry, wrote before reading).

• Jojo

She does not associate the word `bad` with what she has done wrong because you have , in your own words done this, "I`ll bring her to the side and say"bad".

Your dog needs to be told `bad` in stern voice at THE ACTUAL TIME she is doing the `bad` act. NOT seconds afterwards when you have her by your side.

If you have her by your side and praise her and then when she is by your side and you chastise her, she is confused and wonders about your tone of voice and body language as she is expecting praise, so she shows her confusion by wagging her tail and licking, which is her way of telling you she is confused about what you are saying to her.

Every dog does NOT know what the word `bad` means. Also the tone of the voice is just as, if not more, important than the word, although its always best to use the same word for every action of the dog and then tone and word are linked in the dogs mind.

If your dog does something YOU deem as wrong. As the dog is committing the crime or when the dog is just THINKING about doing it, you say "Bad` or `NO` or whatever word you are going to use and you distract the dog with an action like eg; clapping your hands hard or throwing something noisy on the ground near the dog, and along with the chosen word very sternly. Praise the dog and reward with a treat or toy etc, when it stops doing the misbehavior, After 6-7 times if doing this, only the word will be necessary to stop the dog in its tracks from misbehaving. Its called conditioning and is akin to training and if done properly is very effective.

There are many ways of distracting a dog, some dogs need harsher distractions than others, according to the dogs temperament, and also need more incentive rewards.

Yes, most dogs will react to an owners or pack members change of mood and attitude, (body language) and if the owner is upset eg;crying, it can cause the dog to feel anxious and it will seek reassurance from the owner, eg: licking them, ears back, panting, putting a paw on the owner, which is often mistaken by the owner as the dog trying to comfort THEM.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

You never bring a dog to you to correct them. Never. You go to them. You make your correction for the bad behavior & then it is over. Don't rub it in or taunt the dog with negative voice afterwards.

You NEVER punish a dog, you correct it but you do not punish it. That concept is not in canine behavior. Your body language is telling the dog more than what is coming out of your mouth. Dogs communicate with each other using body language & since dogs have this ability they can read us like a book, yet most do not understand canine body language at all to know what the dog wants, needs or whatever. Many time & I mean MANY times the dogs are much smarter than their masters. Understanding both human body language & canine body language is quite an accomplishment for a dog owner.

What you say to your dog is just a bunch of gibberish & not understood. In order for the dog to understand your words you need to train the dog to respond to commands, Basic Obedience training. Your dog is just a dog right now but with Obedience training it could be much more. It is good to have an obedient dog that obeys & understands what you want from them. You need to condition the dog to respond to the 7 basic commands. Basic Obedience.

• Maxi

The only thing a dog knows if you are angry/frustrated is by your body language and the tone of your voice, they learn some words ( as humans over use many like their name and words like dinner/walk) but it is your body lanague and tone they understand... in so far as "she smiles at me, wags her tail and licks my hand" she is trying to calm you down to change your mood as she did it before and it worked and dogs only do what works

Dogs dont understand the word "bad".. The understand posture, tone of voice and assertiveness behind it.

If you say "bad" with the same tone and posture as "treat" "outside" "bed" etc... How is she to associate that word with you being displeased?

• Elise

Yet they understand walk and bath and react positively and negatively.

Haha, dogs are smarter than we think.

Dogs are very smart animals and yes they will try to avoid discipline as much as they can because they can sense when they are in danger or getting in trouble.