Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 7 months ago

What should I do to start with a budget pc build? 1tb hdd and 120gb ssd or 500gb ssd and upgrade when I need more. It’s about the same price?

• Andy T

Difference is only in need; so you desire speed over capacity or the other way around? That should answer it for you.

What would you use the HDD for? Keep in mind that Windows wants to store everything (all programs and all user related data) on the primary drive, and it's still a PITA to convince it to do otherwise.

Unless you have loads of videos or images to store, I'd go with the single SSD.

• keerok

Do you need to be that fast? If not, stick with the 1TB HDD. If yes, go for the 500GB SSD. As to why the 120GB and 500GB SSD cost the same is a mystery to me. That 500GB must be one hell of a bargain or there's something fishy about it. Is it from an online store?

• Fulano

I'd go for the 500 myself, but get a large 2nd drive for backing up things as soon as I could, unless you've already got a backup system in place.

It's just a pain to upgrade the main hard drive. Totally doable, but just a pain I'd rather avoid by just going with the bigger drive.

The 500GB SSD will be the better option if you don't need to store very large video files or have a large collection of pictures or music. If it is mostly for gaming or general use it will be much faster and more convenient to have just the one SSD.

Agent Derek B.

BADGE65746

ARA

Geek Squad/Yahoo Answers Partnership Knowledge Partner

07/16/2019

I would certainly skip the 120gb ssd and go for the 500gb. I just built a budget build with sort of the similar idea of upgrading or adding as needed. My last desktop was so close to still meeting my needs but on my few challenging games, it was my cpu that was getting somewhat bogged down. I think it's been at least 10 years since my last upgrade. I bought an MSI B450M Pro M2 for $60, an AMD Ryzen 2600 for $140 and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz for $70. Today I decided to get an M2 nvme ssd 500GB for $60. I think this should do me for a while.

• Kyle

depends on what files you want to store and where. if you just want to run the OS on the SSD, and keep the rest of your games, media, and others files on the HDD, then go that way. or if you want to do SSD all the way, start with what you need, then you can always change out or add on later. you can always get external hard drives too as well. along with cloud storage being another option with various services. like google drive, carbonite, or others.