Why does modern pop, rap and RnB music rely on edgy pauses within the music?

I am predominantly a Rock and Metal guy. When listening to pop I have found that modern pop, rap etc realises on awkward pauses and edgy silence. When you take an artist like Little Mix, Cardi B etc they add these weird pauses in the songs to make them sound more edgy or hip. Almost like the music gets forced upon... show more I am predominantly a Rock and Metal guy. When listening to pop I have found that modern pop, rap etc realises on awkward pauses and edgy silence. When you take an artist like Little Mix, Cardi B etc they add these weird pauses in the songs to make them sound more edgy or hip. Almost like the music gets forced upon you, that they are saying look at me I am much better than you people who are listening. It is a cringe worthy tactic to make artists especially female ones seem more powerful. It grates me because it is a slight pause that ends suddenly for edge factor when if it was a millisecond longer it wouldn't annoy me as much. What are your opinions, do you think producers and artists do this technique on purpose?