Why does modern pop, rap and RnB music rely on edgy pauses within the music?

I am predominantly a Rock and Metal guy. When listening to pop I have found that modern pop, rap etc realises on awkward pauses and edgy silence. When you take an artist like Little Mix, Cardi B etc they add these weird pauses in the songs to make them sound more edgy or hip. Almost like the music gets forced upon you, that they are saying look at me I am much better than you people who are listening. It is a cringe worthy tactic to make artists especially female ones seem more powerful. It grates me because it is a slight pause that ends suddenly for edge factor when if it was a millisecond longer it wouldn't annoy me as much. What are your opinions, do you think producers and artists do this technique on purpose?

There are pauses in every genre of music. Pauses add drama. The greatest example of a pause is 4 minutes and 33 seconds by John Cage. It's all pause. You're waiting for the music to start. Then it doesn't.

dont know what the f1ck you are talking about...music these days with being edited by protools before sent out has no f1cking dynamics, no weird time signatures, and no "drummer playing slightly behind or in front of the band" or anything like that. its bland, linear, safe, and robotic.

Source(s): .56
  • WUWR

It is a tactic, though I don't view it nearly as agitatively as you do. It's a trick,.but it's not "trickery" if you see my distinction. It's true that that is a trick that will engage the brain. I learned about it when I went through my audio engineering program. It is a more "plain sighted" to engage the brain through confusion. When things don't add up the way your brain anticipates it will grab your attention. When I was learning it was taught to us through tricks like having a very "low sitting" vocal track that was a different performance while being the same singer doing the same thing, but you can't do anything precisely the same and it's more or less inaudible presence thickens the main vocal track. Anyhoo, you would use that vocal track to feed your delays (pretty much any professionally produced vocal track will have a double and some sort of subtle delay on it to thicken the sound) as opposed to the main vocal track so that it wouldn't spit out exactly what you were hearing. Things like that will engage the brain. The sort of staggering is a more overt way to engage the same mechanism. It's also why songs with strange or changing time signatures are so intriguing.

I don't see this as anything "underhanded" or anything like that though. It's just music being created. There aren't really rules or dirty tricks to it. Just making the best, most enticing product you can.